Amish boy caught me by surprise C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the utmost respect for all people, but when in public all are fair game!
I disagree. How would you feel if you did something embarrassing and it was caught on camera and plastered all over the internet? Would the "When in public all are fair game" rule still apply?

I don't shoot so-called "Street" photography for this very reason. I'm of the opinion that everyone has the right to expect a modicum of privacy even in public. I only shoot people photographs when they are in a setting where they would expect to be photographed. For example in costume for an event. I do not walk down the street shooting photographs of people simply because they have an interesting expression or because it is something embarrassing to them. I treat people the way I would like to be treated, and that doesn't include somebody sticking a camera in my face simply because they feel they have a right to do so.

This shot was wrong. The OP knew that the Amish do not wish to be photographed by his own admission yet he took it anyway and put it on a forum for everyone to see. I personally feel that they have the right to their own beliefs, and I do not find this respectful of their way of life in any form.

Also, you may have the opinion that everyone has the right to expect a modicum of privacy, even in public, but the truth of the matter is you and I don't have that right in public.

Oh my :shock:
I didn't even KNOW you're not supposed to take their photo when I did.
They never even expressed in body language or in any other manner that they did not want their photo taken. They eyed us very curiously all the while, listening in to us speaking German among each other, and I had the strong feeling they had a desire to establish contact but didn't know how, as they were very young and maybe a bit shy and total strangers to us, as we were to them...

I think it is a sign of changing times. Photography, and everything else is so prevalent now that it is becoming more difficult for the Amish to avoid it all. After generations of Old-Order Amish having been in photographs (accidentally or otherwise), the later generations have become more tolerant of "the English" and all our modern trappings.

As to wanting to communicate with you in German; it could be a combination of being shy and recognizing that their Deutsch may be less than perfect and comes with an American accent.

I'm sure he won't see it ... so there you go! I'm from that area near Lancaster and so do I. I just don't think its as horrible as you guys apparently do. They live in a modern world ~ they come into our world~ Have you ever taken a photo of a homeless person or an old person who didn't know you were shooting a photo. I just don't see it like you do.

I was going to somewhat nicely tell you that your picture sucked, but frankly the level of suck in your attitude has really altered the scale of suck.

The picture is fantastic. Art gallery material. Congratulations.

To be honest, I can't exactly fault taking the picture based upon the whole "I'm a photographer, they're in public" thing... but ...

1. The OP didn't use this defense.
2. The OP is FROM THE AREA and therefore can't even claim ignorance.
3. The Amish are sort of unique and generally speaking my experience is that the American culture tries to be sensitive to that uniqueness in a manner that we have not been with other *ahem* cultures in our country. I've often found it nice that we have done that, so seeing someone just flip it off like this is kinda appauling.

So, yeah... I can't argue that you had the right to take the picture, but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, what a sucky, uncaring, flippant attittude.

Last edited:
Whoa! Two days ago I joined what I thought was a nice friendly forum. How could I be so wrong? This thread is U-G-L-Y!! I really hope it isn't the norm!

The Amish way of life is so very different from our own and therefore interesting. I clicked on the post because the subject interests me. If I wasn't interested, I would have never opened the post, nor would I have commented. I would have moved on to something I like. I have seen Amish boys and girls with a cell phone, taking pictures of each other. When they were done, they hopped back into the buggy and went about their business. I thought what they were doing was funny and they looked like they were having a blast.

Although I am no expert in photography, I like the picture the OP posted. I would like it better if the entire horse was shown, but since he was surprised and was taking pictures of something else, he got what he got. I say better luck next time.

Did I make a mistake joining this forum? Should I be afraid of posting a picture that might be controversial to someone? I certainly would not want to be chastised for doing so. If this really isn't the friendly forum I thought it was, would someone be so kind as to let me know?

Maybe agree to disagree? Bygones be bygones and all that crap. :) there is obviously no convincing either side in this situation.
or you could tell me to stfu. :lmao:

Also, you may have the opinion that everyone has the right to expect a modicum of privacy, even in public, but the truth of the matter is you and I don't have that right in public.
You are right, and I can't do anything about everyone, only myself. That's why I tried to emphasize the fact that it was my personal opinion. How anyone else conducts themselves is entirely up to them. If I know for a fact that someone does not want to be photographed I will respect that, just as you said that you would.

texkam said:
Does Google Maps publish Street View images of Amish areas?

I assume they typically don't because Google doesn't usually have a street view for rural areas.

... There are many people who visit Amish country but do not know their customs and shouldn't be crucified for taking a picture of them if they happen to be blowing by in their totally bitchin buggy on a road that is used by all.

How about when they DO know their customs? There is a significant difference in my opinion.

Yes, you are correct. To be honest, I completely missed the OP saying she knew the customs and had to go back and read the thread again.

what's the big surprise, the reason why there's more debate about taking shots of Amish than cc is because the shot is boring. the framing is awkward and it's un-flattering/emphasizing to any subject (horse, boy or buggy). the buggy is severely cropped, but there's a ton of dead space in front of the horse (who's legs are chopped), and the driver is badly framed in the windshield. the overall result is just flat out uninteresting.

the question about taking shots of people who you know don't want their pictures taken is a far more interesting topic... on one hand it is rude if you take shots of someone you KNOW doesn't want you to (yes pavarazzi are rude), legal or not. the attitude of "who cares it's a public place" reminds me of those kids in school who would walk around saying "it's a free country" after every annoying thing they did. on the other hand, perhaps they don't really care, and they definitely benefit and capitalize on the mystique surrounding their culture, so in a way they probably do take the good with the bad.

Being totally disinterested in the subject of most of these comments, I will reply to the picture.

Badly, badly framed.
It concentrates on the horse. you've cut off both the horse's legs at the joint (generally a no-no) and the top of the buggy.
You need to know what you are looking at and want the viewer to concentrate on and then expose and frame around that.

DSC_3701grid_zps4c4a133b.jpg

I know you didn't have time to frame this right, but it just looks like a snapshot right now...could help with a crop IMO. The guy's expression is really interesting and could bring life/meaning to the image if you bring the focus (figuratively speaking) back to him. How about this crop that makes this about a man and his horse rather than about a carriage?

$DSC_3701Crop.jpg

No offense meant, but somewhere there is a genuine silk purse that is growing angrier and angrier by the minute!!!!!!!!!!! Just sayin...

You are right, and I can't do anything about everyone, only myself. That's why I tried to emphasize the fact that it was my personal opinion. How anyone else conducts themselves is entirely up to them. If I know for a fact that someone does not want to be photographed I will respect that, just as you said that you would.

Yeah it's kind of a touchy subject. I wouldn't want to be photographed but I have more respect for the rights of all our citizens over my peronal opinion on the matter.

Next thing Police Officers will be demanding rights to privacy on the job, as a public servant.

It's kinda like celebraties wanting privacy in public. It's not the photographers fault that people buy the magazines. If no one bought the tabloids then there wouldn't be a market for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back