What's new

An abstract to improve

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
415
Location
Sioux Falls, SD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is a what I've processed out. I liked the texture and the contrast in color between the wet and dry stone. Tried to bring that out. It was shot in pretty harsh light - nothing I could do about that.


IMG_0861a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr


Let me know what you think.
 
I think it might be better in bw because the color is not really critical to this - it's more about differences in texture and brightness than color - worth a try anyhow. In either case, I might do a little cloning in the upper right corner to eliminate some of the detail and make it less distracting. I tried cropping it but can't make the composition work.
 
I had worked it in black and white, but wasn't quite as impressed with it. I liked the deeper red color of the wet stone. None the less, here it is in black and white. Let me know what you think.


IMG_0861b1 by breckmiller, on Flickr
 
It looks vaguely like blood in color, which gives it a little interest and ambiguity. I think there is an interesting contract of textures here, as well, which is probably what drew you to this image.

Otherwise it's not a strong picture. There's no visual center, there are strong lines that lead nowhere. There are several points on the left side of the frame that try to draw the eye, but they fail. Am I supposed to be looking to the center of the circle implied by the almost-concentric-rings of fluid, or should I be looking at the point of origin they seem to come from? Both points are out of frame anyways.
 
Now that I see the bw I think you made the right choice initially. One reason is that in bw you lose the separation from the background in the upper right. Another is that there are some subtle color gradations in the dark area that don't translate well into tonal contrast. I'd still try to do a little cloning in the background area.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom