An Announcement.

Avis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In the box on the table... no, the other one...
I have been asked by my client to make the following announcement:

The artist formerly known as Hertz van Rental shall hereafter be called The Wilson Family And Aunty Doris At 52 Edith Road.
Under this nom d’Art he will not be dressing up in animal skins of any kind and will certainly not be going to any Museums or Art Galleries. Instead he will be employing gangs of cameramen to roam around documenting all of the places he is not to be seen at.
The footage will then be edited together into a 56 hour loop and will be screened continuously on one of those cable channels that you can never find until you are somewhat drunk and zapping aimlessly at 2am while deciding whether to go to bed or cook up a curry.
Then The Wilson Family And Aunty Doris At 52 Edith Road will sit back and wait to become the surprise winner of next year’s Turner Prize.
He is working on the basis that if it’s out the ordinary and the judges don’t understand it then they are bound to vote for it.
It’s got to stand a better chance than the one he did this year that didn’t even get a look in.
It was called Kiss My Art.
Constructing a life-sized chocolate statue of a young Chinese girl from a latex mould*, he placed it in the middle of his local library and employed teams of resting actors and unemployed Media Studies graduates to kiss and lick the giant confection until it was all worn away.
It symbolised how the West annexes various non-Western cultures whilst eroding the ethnicity of their peoples .
Yeah! I thought it was pretentious cr ap too.
Undeterred, The Wilson Family And Aunty Doris At 52 Edith Road has come back with this block-buster.
My money is on Spangles, The Juggling Cat.

* All charges were dropped when he settled out of Court for an unspecified amount.

PS: If you don’t understand any of this and don’t think it’s funny then you are probably an American. If you do understand it but still don’t think it’s funny then you are probably Mark Wallinger.

Can we just call him the Photographer Formerly Known as Hertz?

There's a distinct whiff of collusion about all this, I just wish I could work out where it's coming from... wonder if The Wilson Family are related to our managing director?

^^^^ Nah, I think the 'whiff' you're referring to is just Avis' fingers (as per his avatar)

I think we need to change his name to a symbol.

no bear suits at The Wilson Family And Aunty Doris At 52 Edith Road then?

no bear suits at The Wilson Family And Aunty Doris At 52 Edith Road then?

I understand that they have four skins but never go 'bear'.
Wrong size, probably.

An update:
The Wilson Family And Aunty Doris At 52 Edith Road was recently not seen in a gent's public convenience and did not sign a urinal. Nor did he remove it.
Just as well. I'm sure people would have noticed. And the last thing you want in a gent's is for people to miss the porcelain.

I understand it the first bit of footage is in the can? Wow, that is going to be a thrilling part of the 56-hour movie!!!

So he's re-creating Duchamp's Fountain as part of the movie? Or he just wanted it nearby for the 'convenience'?

Will a Tracey Emin homage be next?

Edit: Love the pun in Corinna's post (giggle)

Most reactions

Back