Anatomy of a IR Remote - Nikon ML-L3 compatible

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back when I bought my Nikon d7000 in Nov 2012, I also bought a Nikon IR remote.
It has worked flawlessly since I bought it.
Since they are small and easy to misplace I decided last summer to buy a Vivitar branded IR Remote.
It only cost about $6 USD versus the $29 Retail of the Nikon one (which can be bought for $15 online).

Initially the Vivitar one was better than the Nikon one. Both with fresh batteries the Vivitar one would initiate the release a good 15 feet away, whereas the Nikon one was best within 10 feet, in general.

That was until the Vivitar one decided to start doing 2 or 3 consecutive shots on one press.
Very, Very annoying. This is when the camera is in Single Release mode.

Thus I decided to take it apart just to see "how it worked" and maybe fix it.

and here are the photos from me taking it apart

1 - the "cover" is a plastic sticker with some electronic connectors. To remove the cover I used a blade to essentially cut if off.
You can see contacts in the thumb press area that completes the circuit when pressed. Since there was nothing obstructing it I really didn't know what to "fix" to prevent it from shooting 2 or 3 times.
$aIR01a.jpg

2 - the circuit board had 3 small screws holding it on, then it is easily removed from the plastic casing.
$aIR02a.jpg

3 - circuit board and plastic case
$aIR03a.jpg

4 - putting back together. 3 screws to hold the circuit board then the sticky cover which stuck right on again.
$aIR04a.jpg

FYI .. I'm buying additional only Nikon OEM IR remotes now

weight
I first started using the IR for when my camera is on my telescope.
The heavier the camera, et all, the more strain is put on the gears and everything to keep tracking consistent.

RF would be my choice for studio/outside people shots etc.

Also price. I also use a Nikon MC-DC2 which is the corded release.

I've looked at the Yungnuo RF triggers,both the 622 and the cheaper ones for my camera and OCF. But, not being a pro or doing anything like that where I get paid, I'd rather minimize my $$$ spent. And so far I haven't had a situation where I needed RF. IR has done everything without a hiccup for my needs.

I even use a IR SU-800 for my OCF. And other than learning that a SB-600 stinks with IR outside compared to a SB-700 & SB-800 the IR hasn't failed me there either, even on super bright sunny days. It's helped keep the total cost of this hobby down. But as soon as I know I need to surpass the limitations of a remote trigger or OCF trigger then I'll go RF.

Most reactions

Back