Another Concert & Critique

Lvil24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm quite new to concert photography, and would really appreciate some honest feedback. This was a cool local band at a really fun little warehouse venue and shot using a Nikon D3300 w/ the kit lens (18-55mm). I can see some blur with the hands and guitars and I'm working on getting rid of that but overall I had a lot of fun with this one and am fairly happy with the results, I'd just like to hear the thoughts of others who probably know much more about this topic than I do :) oh, and with the first image, it's not actually blurry, it's just there was a pixelated image being projected onto the band. In the full sized image you can see it's actually pretty crisp, so go easy on me for that one
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed.jpg

I'm quite new to concert photography, and would really appreciate some honest feedback. This was a cool local band at a really fun little warehouse venue and shot using a Nikon D3300 w/ the kit lens (18-55mm). I can see some blur with the hands and guitars and I'm working on getting rid of that but overall I had a lot of fun with this one and am fairly happy with the results, I'd just like to hear the thoughts of others who probably know much more about this topic than I do :) oh, and with the first image, it's not actually blurry, it's just there was a pixelated image being projected onto the band. In the full sized image you can see it's actually pretty crisp, so go easy on me for that one
View attachment 106223 View attachment 106222 View attachment 106224 View attachment 106225 View attachment 106226

oh, my sympathy on the lighting. It seems that you are consistently underexposed. What are you shooting at? You need to increase your shutter speed to stop the motion, but you also need to work on being under. #3 suffers the least from that, but it has that horrible screenlike texture. Was that a projection? The first one wouldn't be a keeper for me because of the lighting; the lights and shadows are just too distracting. Most of the images really have no face, let alone eyes. One of the most interesting and engaging part of concert photography is the expressive faces. I'd work on your exposures and lighten and brightening would help a lot. Vary your framing more; make use of the zoom and as soon as you can, pick up a telephoto so that you can also get some close ups. good luck.

View attachment 106223 View attachment 106222 View attachment 106224 View attachment 106225 View attachment 106226

oh, my sympathy on the lighting. It seems that you are consistently underexposed. What are you shooting at? You need to increase your shutter speed to stop the motion, but you also need to work on being under. #3 suffers the least from that, but it has that horrible screenlike texture. Was that a projection? The first one wouldn't be a keeper for me because of the lighting; the lights and shadows are just too distracting. Most of the images really have no face, let alone eyes. One of the most interesting and engaging part of concert photography is the expressive faces. I'd work on your exposures and lighten and brightening would help a lot. Vary your framing more; make use of the zoom and as soon as you can, pick up a telephoto so that you can also get some close ups. good luck.

Yeah in #1 & #3 they were projecting the grid thing on the stage. Lighting was difficult, but that's pretty much expected at this type of warehouse venue- they don't have professional lighting. I definitely will keep trying to get more faces and eyes and expressive photos in general. Thanks for the feedback, very helpful and much appreciated!

Yeah in #1 & #3 they were projecting the grid thing on the stage. Lighting was difficult, but that's pretty much expected at this type of warehouse venue- they don't have professional lighting. I definitely will keep trying to get more faces and eyes and expressive photos in general. Thanks for the feedback, very helpful and much appreciated!

well, hope it helped. I've been shooting shows for 30+ years and still love it. Post more images when you have some. I'm here only sporadically, but I'll comment when I can. Shooting music is no longer a real way to make any serious money, but there's nothing like it.

well, hope it helped. I've been shooting shows for 30+ years and still love it. Post more images when you have some. I'm here only sporadically, but I'll comment when I can. Shooting music is no longer a real way to make any serious money, but there's nothing like it.

I'll definitely post some more concert shots when I can. Also, earlier you suggested that I get a telephoto asap and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a lens that'll do the job but is affordable for someone who doesn't really have a ton of money to spend on camera gear. Thanks!

I'll definitely post some more concert shots when I can. Also, earlier you suggested that I get a telephoto asap and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a lens that'll do the job but is affordable for someone who doesn't really have a ton of money to spend on camera gear. Thanks!

I've never been a Nikon shooter, so I'm not up on what they offer currently. You might want to check into non-OEM lenses too (tokina, sigma, etc) A 75 or 100-300, and of course, as fast as the budget allows. If you have a real camera store nearby, stop in. They should be able to help you and it doesn't cost anything to look!

Most reactions

Back