"Another" Doms Low key class CC

Hooker771

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are my pics trying to get a grip on low key shooting. I used a clamp light pointed at the ground with just a hint of light bouncing up at the subject on the first 2. On the last 2 I added a small flash light coming from the left to give the gun some more highlights.

4424082878_3f3ebf54bf.jpg

4423318673_9e252f37fd.jpg

4426536458_09c53d4c67.jpg

4426534032_cb4a5eaa4d.jpg

I like the lighting in 2 the best, just my opinion. The only problem I have is the finger on the trigger. Just one of my dislikes when photographing people and firearms.

Nobody get's that Low Key, doesn't mean underexposed.
Low Key is supposed to be dark and VERY dramatic.

(I hope my "students" are paying attention to these. *mwuahahahaha*)

It's very difficult to nail.

Here was my best attempt:

3780308656_8e14555950.jpg

It's not the greatest example. I have some blown higlights.

........(I hope my "students" are paying attention to these. *mwuahahahaha*)..........
Well then......................

613605976_awwxw-XL.jpg

The subject really needs to be lit for low key, otherwise you have an underexposed shot of shadows.​

Nobody get's that Low Key, doesn't mean underexposed.
Low Key is supposed to be dark and VERY dramatic.

(I hope my "students" are paying attention to these. *mwuahahahaha*)

It's very difficult to nail.

Here was my best attempt:

3780308656_8e14555950.jpg

It's not the greatest example. I have some blown higlights.

I think these 2 schools could give you a mental breakdown :lol:

I think you are on the right track, just need to work on getting more "shaped" lighting in there.
I tried to do some stuff in post, but the images were small.

Good examples posted in here.

get over the guns pklease. and as for finger on the trigger that was very deliberate for this "shot" and im not here to defend that either as i def see your point. its amazing what can get posted on these sites but when a beautiful piece of work like a dan wesson pistol is presented you all freak out. i guess thats why i keep posting them though. lol.

ive got several pics where i thought there was too much light or spots that were blown out. thank you for the constructive feedback bitter. ill see if i cant reshoot (pun intended) with more shaping light.

I am just getting to grips with photography, and I have just found out what LOW KEY means, but getting the subject, (and please put me right if I have the wrong angle) I thought that the subject can be very important. Some people take photos so they can be looked at, like an artist who enjoys people looking at their work for hours on end finding something new and conveying emotion, but if the subject is not appealing to the 'looker' then the 'looker' will not appreciate the other things can come out of the picture in time? because they just glance at the picture, As I say I am a beginer and hope you dont mind me asking

It's funny how content effects the viewer, huh?

Is it funny? I don't mean to contradict you Bitter -- after all you know how I feel about your photography (you're stunning). But isn't the whole point of "photography" to "effect" the viewer? With that said, one must think that not only the composition but the subject and lighting are also instrumental when attempting to "effect" somebody? I'm just learning about this stuff and am in no way suggesting that you are wrong Bitter. Forgive me as I don't mean to step on any toes!

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant...Perhaps you were being sarcastic?

Just my $0.02
Cheers!
- Dan

bitter sarcastic? never!

although in this case i enjoy the subject and the argument. if i postwed on everyones content i didnt like personally rather than the photo my fingers would be bloody nubs. but thats what makes diversity great. i was trying to portray what you would see if you broke into my house one dark night or maybe a femme fatale of sorts? in either case my wife isnt around guns much and its hard to convey when the subject isnt in to it. im just glad someone finally cc'd so i can get closer to a true low key shot. i actually worked really hard at getting more shadows and making the photos darker for the effect of eye down field through the barrel.

@ Olympus (Dan)
Perhaps. :p

@ Hooker...

Well, this is why I like to know what the intent was on the image. Some say you shouldn't because it creates bias in the viewer, and you don't get a "real" reaction. (if that makes sense)

More dramatic lighting and more fear or anger in the model.
I didn't see what you intended the image to convey...needs more drama! ;)

I think #3 has it going on, at the hands, but loses expression/detail in the face

Most reactions

New Topics

Back