$DSC_0020.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 53
  • $DSC_0035.jpg
    $DSC_0035.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 58
  • $DSC_0071.jpg
    $DSC_0071.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 49
Missing the context, I just don't know what these images are about.

#1: Somewhat out of focus. Not clear why the gentleman is looking to the left? The monitor behind him seems to blend in with his head. Are there specific clues in the image that we should be looking for?

#2: Bookshelves. If the idea was to emphasize the lines of the shelves, then you'd need to make that the prominent characteristic of the image. At the moment, we see lots of books, a pillar, and lines of the bookshelf leading to a waste basket. What did you want US to see?

#3: Gentleman obviously saying something, at least with his hands. Prominently behind him is a white cylinder that "could" be a rocket, with additional rocket-looking objects behind him. The bright yellow piece attracts our attention and away from the main subject. We are also left with the question of what is he saying and to who? And what is the relation between him and the object at his back?

Overall my comment will be that you need to decide what each image communicates to us, then use the photographic tools at your disposal to emphasize that message, while eliminating other things that may dilute the message or distract. Note the advice given by Lew Thorton that I quote in my sig.

Fair point about #2, but any ideas on how to add context on #1 and #3? I've done an event before, and i got the exact feedback, and i haven't a clue how to include what the gentleman is looking to the left in #1, unless i use a wide angle lens, which would really make it look like crap, and on #3, he was simply delivering a speech (again, i see the point with the yellow rocket.)

The two ways of showing the context, are to place the other side of the interaction into the frame of the image (person that the subject is talking to, or the object/person which give us the clues as to what is going on), and to include some other visual clue which explains the situation. This usually means finding a vantage point or angle that allow you to create this subject/object relationship. Having a wide-angle lens actually will work against this idea, because it will pull in a lot of extraneous detail that will diminish our understanding.

Events are held under some concept, to which the audience for the images is not party to. Unless the images are to be viewed only by those who were at the event (in which case the context will be known to them), it helps viewers who are not familiar with the situation to see within the image the clues. I'm not saying that it is easy to capture this context, but it makes for a much stronger image if all the clues needed to interpret the activity is in the frame.

So, #1: what was the discussion about? Who was just outside the frame? What was the role of the person who you captured in the image? Why was that important?

#3: What was the speech about? What is the significance of the person giving the speech? Who was he giving the speech to?

These are some of the questions that come up when looking at images like that. Sometimes, it is just not possible to capture the needed clues during the event, in which case you will need to do a separate session (before or after) to set up the shots that will communicate that information.

If you focus on some specific incidence, image can be more conversing or interacting, even if the image does not provide a specific clue regarding what is happening.....

In the third image, there should have been more space in front of him, than at his back; otherwise, this is a good clear sharp image

Regards :D

Last edited:
@pgriz thanks a lot for that. will definitely keep in mind next time i shoot one.
@Frequency,ah i see what you mean, thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back