Another noob here....

Blade_Runner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy folks! I just got a D3000 for Christmas, and I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of basic photography. Lens wise, all I have is the kit lens, which is an 18-55, 1:3.5-5.6G. (I have NO clue what that means...lol) Anyways, For the most part, I just intend to kinda lurk around and learn... BTW, here's a few pics I've taken recently, and I was wondering if I could please get some constructive criticism.... Thanks!!

_DSC0011.jpg

DSC_0184-1.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0199-1.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

18-55, f:3.5-5.6G

18-55 - Focal length
Minimal focal length (lowest zoom) of your lens is 18mm.
Maximum focal length (highest zoom) of your lens is 55mm.

f:3.5-5.6 - Aperture
Maximum aperture (lowest Depth of Field) of your lens at focal length 18mm is 3.5.
Maximum aperture (lowest Depth of Field) of your lens at focal length 55mm is 5.6.

DOF (Depth of Field): The area in your image that is sharp.
The further an object in your photo is from your DOF the more blurred it will be.
The higher your DOF (controlled by closing your aperture) the larger your sharp area (DOF) will be.

G
This simply means you can not control the aperture manually (The D-series for example do allow you to control the aperture).

As for the photos:
I like the photos you made of that large building, especially the first one (photo nr. 2).
Photo nr. 3 is a tad on the dark side though, those trees annoy me a bit too much.

The first photo has good lighting, the focus looks a tiny bit off to me though. It seems to me you missed the focus on the head of the mosquito and focused on the right (in the picture left) wing instead.

The last photo doesn't do much for me.

I like number two, but I would crop out the purple building on the right as it distracts from the main subject (I'm assuming the Capital Building). Personally I would like to see it with the edges of the street start in opposing corners and lead the eye to the building. Otherwise a great concept.

My opinion anyways.

Most reactions

Back