Another sunet

wackii

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It has been raining for the last couple days here in Southern California. I'm heading out for a few sunset shots. I was just trying my luck as it was still raining where I was before I left the house. Forecast said "mostly cloudy" but I am sick of staying home :) Here is the shot I came away with. Oh I did learned something today during the shots, bring an extra camera next time... One for long exposure and one for normal shots with no ND filter. The sky was lit up red during my long exposure but I have no extra camera at hands :( I was later found out that my long exposure shot is ruined due to strong waves came up (camera shake).

Anyway, here is the shot before.

$sunset lnp resize2.jpg

I like it, but I get distracted by the blurry clouds. Since they take up almost 2/3rds of the picture, they are distracting. It would look better with either the clouds being more in focus or more out of focus. It might also look better with a tighter crop/larger part of the picture being the dock.

Thanks all.

Q4kntmare, that's the long exposure effect of moving cloud... Depends on how you look at it, I prefer the cloud motion like this.

The blurry clouds are due to a long exposure not focus issues... There's nothing distracting about it if you like long exposure photography. I think it works great. Intact I'd have proffered an even longer exposure but still it's brilliant!

I like! beautiful colors!

What kind of ND filer did you use and how long was the exposure for?

Also, that looks a lot like Huntington Beach, correct me I'm wrong.
I live near L.A., and I spend a lot of time in Santa Monica.
In fact, I was there today for the LA Marathon.

I really like it.

Thanks.

The blurry clouds are due to a long exposure not focus issues... There's nothing distracting about it if you like long exposure photography. I think it works great. Intact I'd have proffered an even longer exposure but still it's brilliant!

Thanks. At the time, I can't do any longer exposure than this.

I like! beautiful colors!

Thanks.

What kind of ND filer did you use and how long was the exposure for?

Also, that looks a lot like Huntington Beach, correct me I'm wrong.
I live near L.A., and I spend a lot of time in Santa Monica.
In fact, I was there today for the LA Marathon.

I had on Lee big stopper and Lee graduated ND filter (3-stop). The exposure is 181 secs, ISO 100, f11. That's correct. It is Huntington Beach. I was in Santa Monica couple weeks ago but was cloudy so no sunset.

Wow..I was intrigued by long exposure shots since I watched the basics of it after buying my DSLR. Great shot!

Did you get a chance to stop at Bolsa Chica? I need to get up there, it's been too long.

That's very catching, the sky looks like it moving.

Thanks.

Wow..I was intrigued by long exposure shots since I watched the basics of it after buying my DSLR. Great shot!

It can be addictive :)

Did you get a chance to stop at Bolsa Chica? I need to get up there, it's been too long.

I have not been back there for sometime now. I have been busy and only have a bit of time for sunset shots. I was scouting White Point in San Pedro last weekend but was empty. The locals there said the owls were gone a couple months ago. I might go back there again if I can get birds shots, I will just head down the beach for sunset shots :) I still haven't put my new telephoto lens to good use yet :( I saw you and your wife taking great photos of birds... Really great shots especially the American Kestrels...

Awesome :)

the motion blurred clouds pull my eyes to the dock/pier , I like it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back