Another Veteran's Portrait Project session (w/ Bonus extra images!)

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another Veteran's Portrait Session:
_DSC1576_KRISTA_WEB.jpg

Lt(N) Krista Seguin, RCN

And, because Krista was a little different than most of my VPP clients, and because she had some time on her hands and was willing to stand there, we played around with some other lighting.

_DSC1572_KRISTA_WEB.jpg

_DSC1603_KRISTA_WEB.jpg

As always, comments, critique, and suggestions always appreciated.

And because I've had a few questions on the lighting I use for my Veteran's Portraits, here's what it looks like:
VPP_Setup%20(1).jpg

From my point of veiw: Key light is the 22" gridded beauty dish on an M11 head, and in this case I also used a hair light. When clients have light or no hair, I often don't use a hair light at all.

VPP_Setup%20(2).jpg

From the client's point of view

I kind of like the subtlety of the first shot'slighting setup.

Very nice!
And thanks for posting your lighting setup, I always love seeing it! :)

Nicely done. I think my favorite is the 2nd one. The blue gel helps with a subtle separation of her from the background, but I may be seeing blue after my Saturday night session (images to come).

I especially like the 3rd one! Love the hair highlight. Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
Thanks! That was her favorite as well.

Nicely done. I think my favorite is the 2nd one. The blue gel helps with a subtle separation of her from the background, but I may be seeing blue after my Saturday night session (images to come).
Thanks Ron!
Great set.

Agree with it being nice to see the lighting setup for those wishing to try something similar.
Thanks Alex, I'll start trying to post more of the 'behind the scenes' stuff as well.

I use that same Speedotron black ballistic nylon location carry case! It is so,so handy! Holds all the flash heads I usually need, a power pack, three light stands, and two umbrellas, power cord, trigger set, a few gels, a few 7-inch reflectors, some grids, and a 2-way barndoor set. Fits great in my car too.

Is that the new 1604 power supply I see, to the left of the handy 202 power supply? I love that small 202! So light! So easy to pack!

Very nice John. I especially like the blue background photo.

I use that same Speedotron black ballistic nylon location carry case! It is so,so handy! Holds all the flash heads I usually need, a power pack, three light stands, and two umbrellas, power cord, trigger set, a few gels, a few 7-inch reflectors, some grids, and a 2-way barndoor set. Fits great in my car too.

Is that the new 1604 power supply I see, to the left of the handy 202 power supply? I love that small 202! So light! So easy to pack!
I have two of those bags, and they're the best lighting bags in the world. That one carries almost exactly what you mentioned. 4 heads (3xM11, 1xMW3U), 1604 power pack, two brollies, tri-level control, 3 7" reflectors, barn door, set of grids, gel holders, and two extension cables. That's my old 1604 (two-blade style trigger port) power-pack. The new one is in my other bag... just finished reattaching the handle to it... one of the screws had come off and it was half-mornng's job to get back on. I had to take almost all the components off of the underside of the lid to access the screws! That's actually a tri-level control. I love my 202 pack, but didn't have it that day.

Very nice John. I especially like the blue background photo.
Thanks Mike! :)

Photo #3. Hand position awkward. It looks like her fingers have been lost (i know they're not because of photo #1)
also for certain body types, having them lean forward into the camera makes them look slimmer.

Photo #3. Hand position awkward. It looks like her fingers have been lost (i know they're not because of photo #1)
also for certain body types, having them lean forward into the camera makes them look slimmer.
The fingers thing is annoying, but her jeans had no pockets or belt loops to hook into; I definitely should have put a little more care into that aspect! I did have her leaning forward slightly, and yes a little more might not have gone amiss, but as a national-level power lifter slimming wasn't such a priority.

Solid work, as we've come to expect from you.

Did you try any with short lighting, rather than the broad lighting that we see here?

I would usually default to short lighting, especially if the subject is on the heavier side....unless there is a reason to switch to broad, like glasses causing a reflection etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back