Ansel Adams .. .. ..Was the -=best=- *weak stomach warning*

Your camera has a standard viewfinder with split rangefinder ?

BTW the last two links in your last post seem broken.

White on White with colors is used to illustrate a very difficult exposure, and I used this as an example of a DIFFICULT exposure, but the value is ALREADY KNOWN before the -=click=- occurs. the need for speed comes in the NEXT TWO images..!.... POSTED ABOVE not below.

I am sure you will agree on my point there. YES YOUR 100% correct. when looking at the first two images, there was no need for "speed" as an issue. but.. if something did happen.. I am PREPARED.. I know exactly what to do and the results I am going to get.. THUS... I only need one frame.. for that "composition" or creation I am trying to capture at THAT moment in time. of course I keep shooting.. "DIFFERENT".

Now if I am in say a forest with scattered light.. THE same thing applies.. you only have a very limited range of F-stops for the correct ev value based on your surroundings.. so 4 stops open and I am right where I want to be.. in COMFORT!

So lets go to different places and look at some images I dug up
taken 27 years ago.. Archive quality is impressive .. .. so far.!

Spirit Lake one week before the volcano Mt. St. Helens blew up.

In fact: when that volcano blew.. one week later, all the people in this location were killed!

this was not taken by me, but by a friend of mine who owned a mamiya RB 67.. he had no
idea whatsoever to do. He only knew one set of values 125 @ F 16 in bright sun distinct shadows

he knew what those words meant and that is all he knew... .. in the begining! Nice shot, but the computer

spirit_lake3.JPG

monitor doesn't do justice to the incredible sharpness and detail in the depth of field in this image. BUT for a "rookie"
it is a splendid example of how to shoot from the hip.

Lets go to the East coast on a partly cloudy day at the beach. I am sitting there camera with me of course and I see the lady in blue arranging her friends and she pulls out a small tiny snap shot camera.. I jump up and walk over and say.. Please.. put your camera away and jump into the photo and I will take your photo.. she hands me her camera.. I bring out my Mamiya from behind my back.. I said put that toy into your hand bag and let me take you a wonderful photograph.. no charge! I asked the gentlemen.. where can I send the finished images.. for free.. a place of work perhaps.. or to some friend perhaps.. i dont want your address but a place to send the finished prints.

She finally agreed & jumped into the image. I look all around me it is partly cloudy.. 125 @ 16?No.. @ f11 ? F 8 ! yes! -=click=-

beach2.JPG

Always one frame, if I have any doubts.. and at first I had many doubts. but then i fine tuned .. MY EYES.. to see, have I seen this before. this situation ? These images are beat up with folds kinks and dirt. but after 27 years.

Oh yes! Vericolor for EXACTING COLORS.. that Match the original!

I sent them a dozen 8x 10's! I am sure.. when they opened that package.. they were all smiles!

DONT be afraid to practice this. AND after you shoot a few rolls, of pure candid photos, your going to TRUST your eyes. based on what you have for images to INSPECT and LEARN FROM.

Yes my viewfinder did have the split ring but I did not use that to focus with.. I used the very ouside ring to determine focus.

and thanks for letting me know about the two broken links, they are fixed.

the need for speed. when you see something happen around you and to bE able to turn and shoot instantly.. THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT.

To capture that image! There are times when I don't have time to get that camera up to my eye level I just shoot anyway.. "from the hip"!
My "favorite" all time image was shot from the hip I didn't have the time to get that camera up to eye level.. her expression would have been gone by then. I was able to retire just form the $$ we make from this one image only! And the computer monitor does not do any justice what so ever to this image.

dellafay.jpg

Practice this, and you will soon gain confidence, when you begin to see the results.

And I hope some of you, picked up on a very easy way to make a lot, an awful LOT of money, just by teaching YOUR SKILLS, in your area!, out of your home or garage.

People want to learn!! No matter which part of the world you live in.!

1. The picture didn't offend me. There was no tool used to kill the bear, nor any blood. It's the same, to me, as walking in and seeing a bear skin rug or a leather jacket. It's a part of life. (however the guy was holding the skin up... I doubt he wouldve minded a few extra seconds to get your settings correct)

2. The OP's original post had way too many WORD EMPHASISES, and was unreadable. Every OTHER word "seemed" to have some sort of *marking* or CAPITALIZATION to emphasize it... don't do that!

3. I shoot digital, so only part of what you said made sense, but many many pros are throwing away light meters man... it's not news!

Just as a fillin for this tip for newbies who are having trouble comprehending how this works. If you set your camera to manual your lightmeter will often still be on and show you in the viewfinder how far overexposed or underexposed from the optimal value this is.

Now this optimal value isn't often right. Consider the scene with heavy shadows and a few bright spots. The "correct" exposure will be way to dark so if you go about and set your camera at 1/125 f8 and click the light metre should read ~1EV overexposed.

Using consistent settings like this is also a very good way of learning exactly how your light metre responds to different scenes.

1. The picture didn't offend me. There was no tool used to kill the bear, nor any blood. It's the same, to me, as walking in and seeing a bear skin rug or a leather jacket. It's a part of life. (however the guy was holding the skin up... I doubt he wouldve minded a few extra seconds to get your settings correct)

Just to correct a misconception.
Viewers are not now seeing the original picture posted which did have a lot of blood and assorted goo.

I think that there should be a warning because that, although one may support or respect hunting (or the killing of an animal under certain circumstances), the actual animal may be a bit too graphic for some.

so why did Kodak offer you 10 million dollars majik imaje? i am interested

"I was able to retire just form the $$ we make from this one image only! And the computer monitor does not do any justice what so ever to this image."

I thought you said you declined the offer for that particular image, wasnt it about 100K but your friends told you not to do it..? Now your saying you retired off it? Please explain I am confused !!

this thread lives on like a zombie :albino:

"I was able to retire just form the $$ we make from this one image only! And the computer monitor does not do any justice what so ever to this image."

I thought you said you declined the offer for that particular image, wasnt it about 100K but your friends told you not to do it..? Now your saying you retired off it? Please explain I am confused !!

anim_bs2.gif

Hey guys, noone wants censorship in here. All this was about is putting up a warning, so people who do not want to look at dead animals being cut to pieces don't have to.

We also put up warnings if something is not work safe or whatever.

this is just politeness, not censorship ...

Thank you. I was starting to feel attacked by the fact that I don't like to see dead animals.
Without going into a 100,000,000 word reply like others do, I simply asked for a warning as a.. warning. Then I can decide for myself what I want to see. Is this not allowed?
I respect different cultures and their way of life very much.
However, I also have respect for animals.

Pictures of dead humans would require a warning.. if it could even be posted. So is it too much to ask for a warning about dead animals.

It's not the bear that bothered me. It's the death. I have a personal issue with death and simply would've prefered to have been warned about it.

Most reactions

Back