Any gardeners?

Not Neve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What have I gotten myself into? My sister and I now have a garden plot in the P-Patch (a local garden through the Deparment of Neighborhoods). Neither one of us has a clue how to start a garden? I guess that's why we're going to take classes. Class 1) Getting Started. How appropriate!

Any of you have gardens? What's your favorite home-grown vegetable?

Yeah I'm all into gardening... well not really but I have a friend that is a botanist. I was always pretty crappy at keeping stuff alive. Now that I've gotten to the point that I can keep houseplants alive, our cat goes and ruins em.

i always wanted to garden, but a plant would die in this house within a week ... i remember we sublet an apartment for 2 months when we moved out of state ... all the plants died :roll:

I don't mind gardening. Mind you i put plants in that were native to my area for two reasons.

1. Attract native birds and critters (Crikey it actually worked)
2. Lower maintenance. None of this fertilize and nutrient garbage :) stick 'em in the ground and throw some water on them.

The garden is good apart from the spots where the neighbouring cats decide to do their business (i'm working on that problem trust me :twisted: )

As for edible stuff i only have herbs and a strawberry patch. Lots of market gardeners in the area so i buy cheap from them.

A couple of important words - compost and mulch! Compost adds nutrients to the soil, the mulch keeps water in and weeds out.

I've gone from "kill plastic plants and cactus" to "manages to keep most things alive and thriving" over the last 5 or so years. It's been a big trial and error experience.

I had a great veggie patch a couple of years ago - word to the wise, don't mix cucumbers and tomatoes. The cukes love water, and what keeps them going is too much for the tomatoes. Try to grow things together that have similar water/sun/fertiliser needs.

Most important thing of all - have fun. It is so exciting watching the little seedlings sprouting, then the first veggies appearing. and nothing is as good as eating your own home-grown food.

hehehe -
i'm thinking that some you here growing a bit of the old 'herb' in the garden as well, but just aren't admitting to it :p

I am currently growing an tiny oak from an acorn that i found in park. I am surprised its growing, if i ever get a house here i'll plant it in the yard. I love oak trees.

Lets all hope that Vonnagy gets a house in the near future or he's gunna have a bugger of a time moving a mature oak tree out of his kitchen and into the back of his car :)

I love gardening... but it's very labor intensive if you plant the wrong things (for me, the 'wrong things' mean anything requiring constant pruning or special care - I'm a lazy gardener). :D But I have a terrific 4' deep stretch of dirt that surrounds my patio. In the sunniest section I always have tomatoes in the summer, and sometimes I'll toss in a bell pepper plant or two. I like growing herbs (that would things like basil and oregano, Mr. Mark!) :wink: since nothing beats fresh herbs.

And then in the other areas, just a mess of flowers. I composted for many years to get good soil; the Georgia clay was a tough nut to crack. Some bird feeders and wind chimes - oh, my patio is THE place to be all summer long - eye candy. :love:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back