Any ideas for a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag

whistule

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spend a lot of time trying to merge in in poorer parts of the world - but a camera bag never helps. Putting the camera in another bag always means it take a long time to get to your camera when you need to. Anyone have any ideas on this or suggestions of camera bags? I'm thinking of stichting some material round my bag.

I use a Crumpler bag. Just looks like a normal shoulder bag to most people.

I use a large waist pack. you can't get a camera with a 70-200mm f/2.8 in there but a medium/short zoom fits nicely.

Aside from the fact that you can't really tell what's in it, it's not easy to get it away from me without my knowing and doing something about it.

I'm trying to decide between Domke's F-5XB, F-802 or F-803.

All three are "messenger" type bags.

I think the sand colored one looks exactly my daughter's diaper/accessory bag - assuming I can remove the "Domke label". No self-respecting thief will go near that :)

Have also search for Tamrac Velocity 3, 4, and 5. But these still look too much like camera bags to me.

I highly recommend the Domke bag. I have one in the sand color and really like it. I wouldn't worry about the Domke label, I don't think a thief would know it is a camera bag from the label alone.

i bet noone would try and steal a neon pink fanny pack!

Crumplers are good - something like the 'x Million Dollar Home' would work. You have to go there for the website alone, even if you don't like what they do - funniest commercial site I've ever seen I think

I would imagine any new camera bag you buy will not blend in....

Domke Canvas bags are good too... get a well used one from ebay.. one that looks like its been through the ringer and back.

My current Temporary Camera Bag, it is insolated and weather proof.
However, here in Canada, it may get stolen quicker than a REAL Camera bag.

Good advice ta. I've got an over the shoulder bag but never really liked putting the camera straight in it. Tried a zing thing but then it takes an age to get out when you need to. So you wouldn't put the camera within another case in a domke because it's got a bit of padding already and perhaps a separate compartment for the camera?

If you're in the poor parts of the world dress accordingly. There are plenty of backpacks that will make you blend in un-noticed. Just get one of those and put your camera in it.

If you're in the poor parts of the world dress accordingly. There are plenty of backpacks that will make you blend in un-noticed. Just get one of those and put your camera in it.

Yep, dress like a broke backpacker. I usually keep a thin beard going and wear pretty beat-up clothes and my backpack has many, many miles on it. I haven't been mugged yet and I've been to about 10 third-world countries in the last year and a half. Your chances are pretty slim of actually "blending in", just don't give thieves any reason to believe that your hiding a couple thousand dollars worth of equipment in your bag.

Most reactions

Back