Any Mexicans?

Tortilla chips with cheese and meat (with taco seasoning on it) on top... on a stoneware cookie sheet in the oven... how many ways are there? lol

Well Verbal.

I ask, because while on holiday, we were looking for somewhere to eat...

And we saw a board out the front of a cafe saying "Nachos - $5"...

So we thought, that sounds good. Went in and ordered... When they came out, they had meat in it. I'm a vegetarian, so I wasn't very happy.

My mum took it back and they tried to charge her because we didn't ask for vegetarian nachos...

So. I am asking, because the girl claims ALL nachos have meat in them. My mum worked in a cafe for 10 years, and they didn't have meat in them. Usually they have in their menu, that you can get beef, chicken or bean... But never have I seen them just put the meat in it.

Anyway - I went and searched traditional nachos - and they don't have meat.

Different strokes for different folks?

I've never seen nachos without meat, unless it's just chips and cheese? And those are the el-cheapo gas station style ones. Any good restaurant offers meat, tomatoes, olives, peppers......mmmmmmmmmm nachos :drool:

Hmm well we make ours as

Corn Chips, Grated Cheese, Tomato Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Cream

+ this is the website I found:

The Traditional Nachos*
A platter of fried corn chips smothered in salsa mexicana & melted cheese, topped with a cool sour cream. €6.00

fadingaway1986 said:
Hmm well we make ours as

Corn Chips, Grated Cheese, Tomato Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Cream

+ this is the website I found:

The Traditional Nachos*
A platter of fried corn chips smothered in salsa mexicana & melted cheese, topped with a cool sour cream. €6.00
Oh yea...guac & sour cream are must haves :thumbup:

We like chips, refried beans, spiced ground beef, tomatoes, olives, peppers, onions and a good spicy salsa. Topped with sour cream and chopped green onion stems for color. Keep the Guacamole, never acquired a taste for it. And it's my understanding it's an American dish also. If it weren't for nacho's, what would a Mexican restaurant serve an American? he he BTW, they are almost as good without the beef, just add a little more beans please!

jstuedle said:

That's your first apostrophe warning :whip:

As far as I'm concerned nachos are tortilla crisps with jalapenos and cheese which are grilled to melt the cheese and then served with cold guacamole and sour cream.

Typical USA to regard it as some kind of "how many things can we put on the pizza" competition :lmao:

Ground beef? Come on that doesn't work.

Refried beans are tasty though! BUT not in nachos.

Rob

Rob - thats what I always thought.

Chips, cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.

Hmm you dont have salsa?

Oh well. My whole point was, nacho's aren't supposed to have meat in them just by default.

You can put it in, but therefore, you need to advertise them as BEEF nachos. Not just nachos, cause thats wrong.

Oh. You can do refried beans

But. I would consider them as bean nachos...

See where I am going?

If you add things, you therefore need to call it "X nachos"

So... Beef nachos, bean nachos, chicken nachos.... and then we just have good old NACHOS... on their own...

Yep, I'm with you there. We've got a TexMex in my town and it's great. They do Chicken, Bean and Beef Nachos and such, but it's only the addition of one more item. I forgot about the salsa - of course this is a standard part of Mexican triumverate of accompaniments.

Isn't Mexican supposed to be cheap in the USA? In the UK it's generally really expensive (especially here around London). A standard main course like a chicken chimichanga would be about £12 (~$20). Over here the cheap food is curry. Mmmmmmm curry!

Rob

At Taco Bell, Nachos Bell Grande have meat on them by default, and damn they're good.

:mrgreen:

P.S. Because Rob is posting in this thread I tried my best to use correct grammar and punctuation.

Most reactions

Back