Any tips for using Speedlights in the shower?

ClickAddict

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eternalphotos.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got a shoot planned which would have a speedlight over the shower pointing down. The shower will be turned on and off frequently, (want some water falling for the shots as well to get some decent steam on the door. (Come to think of it I have a steamer that wold probably work better for getting the steam on the door)

My concern is the high humidity the speedlight will be getting. This is indoor so the speedlight wont be going from this to the cold, but anybody have experience shooting in these conditions? Anything I should look for and be worried about with the flash? (Camera is weather sealed and is further away from water so I'm not concerned about camera or lenses.)

Most google searches come up with bringing it back into AC room from outside humidity (tropics for instance) but I figure this is even more humid

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Put it in a clear plastic bag to protect it from spray (make sure the bag is away from the flash tube just in case it gets hot), and once you're finished with it, leave it in a warm dry place for a few hours.

I use my speedlight very often with sprinklers, both indoors and outdoors and in very high humidity areas. I use a plastic bag like tirediron noted, with a second hole for the flash end with a rubber band around it to hold in place. I could probably use the other Rain Sleeve, like the one on the camera, but I usually carry a few plastic bags all the time for rain protection. I will also use Gorrilla tape in some cases (it seems to hold up very well to wet conditions), but can leave a residue that I clean with isopropyl alcohol.

I was more concerned before with the Nikon flash, but with the cheap Yongnuo units I don't worry as much.

If your flash has a white diffuser that snaps on it would help keep the water protective ziploc, etc bag from hitting the flash tube area and melting.

Where to buy a white diffuser??

I had the Sto-Fen set for my SB-600 flash - that style would be great to use.

Most reactions

Back