Anybody make there own flash extender?

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to build a flash extender since there doesn't seem to be any that fit my flash. So was wondering if anybody has made their own and can share their process.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What kind of flash do you have ?

I have a Flash Extender which I use rubber bands to keep it tightly on to any flash head.
such as this ==> Flash Pocket Bouncer for Didital SLR Speedlight 90 Dig angle soft wide ze-sld | eBay

but you can use thick pieces of paper, poster board cut to any shape you want. And then use rubber bands to keep on.

I guess I should have specified. The flash extender would be used for birding. It would be using a fresnel.
Here is one.

The Flash X-Tender (Better Beamer) FX-3 Flash Output Booster for Canon 580EX, Canon 580EX II, Metz 54-4& Nikon SB700 Flashes: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've never made one, however if you've got a Frensel sheet then all you'd need is some material to make the bracket out of. I've got a Better Beamer and it works well; the plastic arms would be easy to copy if you'd got metal rods or other material to hold the lens element securely.

I've never made one, however if you've got a Frensel sheet then all you'd need is some material to make the bracket out of. I've got a Better Beamer and it works well; the plastic arms would be easy to copy if you'd got metal rods or other material to hold the lens element securely.

There are so many sizes of fresnel lenses. Would you mind, whenever you have time, give me the measurements of the lens and the arms? I might as well make a straight copy of it if I can and then adjust to fit my flash. It would be much appreciated.

Lens dimensions
13.5cm by 9.5cm

Arm length
15.5cm

Note that is the length of the arm from the front of the flash to the corner of the lens. The arms have a tab at the base that fits to the flash. Furthermore the arms are bent so the lens is held a little closer than the distance measured above. However the holding part is a little loose (it wraps to the flash head) so its not a perfect science, but likely close enough that it works.

Remember, of course, that any frensel lens is going to reflect light both ways; which means the sun really can reflect back and burn holes in your flash/camera. So keep that in mind if/when you use it in the field.

I will repeat the previously asked question. What flash do you have? The head dimensions are all you need to get and then compare them to find a similar listed flash.

Lens dimensions
13.5cm by 9.5cm

Arm length
15.5cm

Note that is the length of the arm from the front of the flash to the corner of the lens. The arms have a tab at the base that fits to the flash. Furthermore the arms are bent so the lens is held a little closer than the distance measured above. However the holding part is a little loose (it wraps to the flash head) so its not a perfect science, but likely close enough that it works.

Remember, of course, that any frensel lens is going to reflect light both ways; which means the sun really can reflect back and burn holes in your flash/camera. So keep that in mind if/when you use it in the field.

Thanks! Yeah I read the stories of people melting their flash unit or seeing things on fire. I'll make sure I'm careful.

I will repeat the previously asked question. What flash do you have? The head dimensions are all you need to get and then compare them to find a similar listed flash.

I have already checked. I have the Olympus fl-600r. It seems most Olympus flash users are making their own. I could probably just get the one that fits closest and mcgyver it to fit but it will probably only cost me $20 to make my own.

Most reactions

Back