Anyone have good knowledge of Sony?

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this seems to be my night of a 100 questions lol... (feel like I'm back in school, bugging the teacher all day long with them)

Does anyone out there use or at least have some knowledge about Sony? I have the a300 and love it, but am wondering if it's propietary (sorry if my spelling sucks on that word). I know I can use Minolta lenses in some situatations, or so the camera store told me when I bought my camera, but I'm wondering if I'm now limited to just Sony brand items, like flashes for an example, or if I can look for other brands.

For the most part, Nikon users are limited to Nikon/Nikkor branded stuff and Canon users are limited to Canon branded stuff. Really no different except that the big two will probably have a wider selection of items to choose.

Of course, there are third party equipment providers such as Sigma and Tamron for lenses as well as Metz and Quantum for flashes. You'll have to check their information for compatibility with your Sony system.

Now the real question to ask yourself.. Are you "really limited" by the Sony system or do you feel a case of the G.A.S coming on?

If you are happy and enjoying, there is no reason to go through the expense of switching. Your creativity should drive your choices in equipment not the other way around.

G.A.S?

I shouldn't have said limited, I think I meant I'm feeling that the Sony accessories are more expensive then say a Canon or Nikon might be. When I was in the store sizing up my flash yesterday, I saw Canon flashes that were cheaper. I have no experience with Nikon or Canon, so I'm definetly still happy with my Sony and I do know that photography is an expensive hobby. Might need to get a 2nd job to support my new hobby though :D

Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I've been suffering from it for decades... :lol:

I shouldn't have said limited, I think I meant I'm feeling that the Sony accessories are more expensive then say a Canon or Nikon might be. ...

Might need to get a 2nd job to support my new hobby though :D

Ah.. yes.. many have noticed that prices for Sony branded items can be a little more expensive than Canon and Nikon. I'm not familiar with Sony's lineup but it might be a case of the lack of consumer level items. Canon and Nikon have levels of items ranging from consumer to professional which are priced accordingly.

Sigma might be an alternative for some excellent lenses... their chart does list sony/minolta:

Sigma - Lenses - Lens Chart

2nd job?? Doing that right now... hehehe

The third party companies are beginning to make products for the alpha line. Given Sony has only been in the SLR industry for a few years, the following is just beginning to build.

i have a sony alpha a300 myself. you can pretty much mount any minolta lense on it. and they are cheap. you can look for them on ebay. yes sony branded lenses are more expensive than others, but tamron and sigma both make lenses for sony alpha line.

In my very limited opinion; I'd stick to Nikon or Canon. Both are well established brands with their own ups and downs, but mainly; they have a wide selection of great quality lenses.

When it comes to the body, it really comes down to matter or preference. Both of them have a great selection of beginner/intermediate-advanced bodies and both have awesome long-lasting glass that seems to fit even the oldest of film bodies.

I'm a canon user, personally (don't hold that against me) and I find their equipment to be flawless for me. I say this never having used Nikon, so my opion is biased. Between the 3; Canon, Nikon and Sony, I have only heard good things between Canon and Nikon so personally I would stick between the big two. Again, though, this is personal opinion and not that of a professional.

There is nothing wrong with with a Sony camera! Shoot and enjoy! Enjoyment is easier by also not reading forums and gear magazines.

Thanks everyone. I took my first basics of photography course last month and boy did I feel outnumberd. There was 1 Canon, 2 Olympus and 4 Nikon's.. and then there was me, whose instructor hadn't actually even seen a Sony before - he spent 10 minutes just studying and playing with my camera :D Started to wonder if I'd gone wrong not buying a Nikon, but I have had no issues with my Sony and the camera club I'm joining has been impressed with the features and abilities of my camera so far.

Hi Eleanor...
Sorry - can't help with Sony knowledge...
I wonder (though) why you bought Sony..?
Not to be negative - but...
Yes - has all the whistles and bells... (too many..?)
At some point you will want to upgrade to Pro-sumer...
Nikko and Canon and even Pentax offer more scope...
You will have a hotch-potch of Sony-suitable lens that will not support your progression...
Jedo

Ah yes, all of the Sony nay-sayers come in now!

ANY company breaking into a market is going to have a limited range. Give Sony some time! Why don't you actually do some research and see how many lenses they've come out with since they first announced they were releasing an SLR. It seems that people think the camera industry is stagnant and what is now, will always be. I just don't get it.

It's like just because Sony hasn't been out long enough for someone to tell you that they are good (yes, I'm saying most of the Canon & Nikon followers that express their opinions are just parroting what real photographers have told them), you think they are absolute crap.

Konica/Minolta sold the technology to Sony as they were getting out of the photographic business.
The Sony DSLR's kept the Minolta A lens mount and flash mount.
The body mechanisms and electronics are based on the Minolta's ... though they have changed a lot since the a100 was introduced.

All Minolta AF lens's will work on the Sony DSLR's.
Sony has decided to tackle the pro shooters so half of the lenses and accessories are quite pricey ... the G series lenses are high quality and the Carl Zeiss lenses ... !!

Some older third party lenses made for the Minolta-A mount may not work electronically (you will only find these used) ... same with flashes.

Most lens and accessory companys make equipment for Sony Alpha's.

You will have a hotch-potch of Sony-suitable lens that will not support your progression...
Jedo

IMO, sony has a great range of cameras and is constantly upgrading and improving them. If you've got high quality sony glass, you've got nothing to worry about since the sony models are all compatible with them (as will future models).

That's what I've done - started out with a beginner/mid-range dslr (sony a350) yet invested in high quality lenses. When I upgrade the camera, I'll still have all my glass to go with.

Pentax does not make any Pro level DSLR bodies.
Sony has the a900 with a full-frame CMOS sensor ... it is rumored that Sony will add two more full-frame models this year (a850 and a950).

Pentax does not make any Pro level DSLR bodies.
And Pentax only market 4 different DSLR bodies...K-7, K20D, K200D and the K2000.

Sony markets 5 DSLR bodies...A900, A700, A380, A330 and the A230.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back