Anyone heard of plans for Canon EOS 5D replacement?

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been doing a lot of research for my next camera lately...I want to be sure that I won't be disappointed with my investment. I am leaning towards the EOS 5D, because I like the full frame sensor and it also has a high megapixel count. My only hesitation is the fps rate of 3.

The 40D has a higher frame rate of 6.5, but not a full frame sensor.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of Canon releasing a replacement for the 5D since it came out in 2005? I wonder if they will release a faster successor to the 5D. I will probably buy my next camera in 2008, so I might wait longer if Canon does plan on a replacement for the 5D.

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I looked and did not see it on the forums.

There are rumors of a 5D Mark II in the works... no other information is afaik.

Now that the Nikon D3 has come about, one would think that that canon would soon follow with a new full frame, but at this level, Canon and Nikon, are not really competing because new customers generally don't just jump right into a full frame.

I think that my point is, I would think that the Mark II is probably in the future, but there is really not much pressure on canon, time wise. Most of the pressure would be from current Canon customers, not competition. So the more people demand it from canon, the faster it will come( in theory).

Well, you do not need rumors for this. just looking back in time with Canon's camera releases will tell you that a 5D follow-up is due soon. I would expect it around beginning of next year.

The 5D mark II should be full frame, have a couple of MP more, improved sensor in terms of dynamic range, better noise behavior at raised ISO.

There will also be some new toy (useless) features, as usual ;)

I'm with Alex, Canon uses does follow a pattern of sorts. It would be my guess that a new version (or new model) of the 5D should be out early next year. The PMA show is usually in February or early March, and I would think that would be when they spill the beans...or maybe something will leak a few weeks before then.

Had to revisit this one, so now the CES and PMA shows have come and gone, and still no word of a Canon 5D replacement.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks, will there be one later this year, next year, or when? Has anyone heard any rumors?

I am looking at the 5D as my next camera but I know as soon as I buy it the replacement is going to come out...it's Murphy's Law, isn't it? Also, I've heard the interface on the 5D isn't the greatest. And I don't want a camera that is going to be frustrating to change settings.

Oh well, I guess I should be patient, it's still going to be a while anyway until I'll be able to afford it.

i saw some image samples of what was called a "7D" floating around about 3 months ago. sorry, i don't have a link. i don't even remember what the samples were like. but it had -some- validity. they were posted with 40D samples.

Just build up your lenses so when the new 5D comes out, you'll be ready to take advantage of it's capabilities. I would guess we'd see it before the end of the year, but I wouldn't expect anything right after the release of the XSi. I'm sure they want to space their camera announcements out.

There will be a big show in the fall...Photokina I think. That would be my guess...but who knows.

The 5D is still in a category of it's own. It's full frame and it's only $2000. Canon appears to be in no hurry to put out another model at this time. Maybe if Nikon had put out a full frame camera in this price range, we would see Canon fire back (pun intended) sooner.

As far as I know, the interface on the 5D is practically the same as on the 30D. So it's better than entry level but different from the Pro bodies.

I guess we will see, when the new one comes out...but I'm sure there will be a time when the price of the 5D drops even lower and you will have to choose between a cheap 5D and the new model.

I had though that I would upgrade to the newer 5D but I think a 40D may be good enough for what I will need to do...and with the 10-22mm, the crop factor isn't a problem at all.

My friend has the 5D and has had a massive amount of problems with his white balance. Ive seen it in the works no matter what settings he has its screwed up and he had it serviced and it still has the problem...

The Canon pro line is on a 3 year replacement so the 5d Is due from now till next year for a replacement.

If you want to upgrade now I would get one off ebay and use it till the new one comes out that way you wont lose as much money

Just for fun, I figured I'd send an email to Canon to ask about a 5D replacement. I'm not naive enough to think I would find out any new information, but I figured it'd be interesting at the least to see their response:

Hi,

I am doing the initial research for my next camera purchase. I am
currently looking at the EOS 5D, 40D and Nikon's D3 and D300.

I really am leaning toward the 5D as I already have a 300D so I could
use the 300D as a backup body.

I just have one question: Do you have a replacement for the 5D in the
works? I am wondering because I would hate to purchase the 5D and then
find out a month later there is a replacement for it.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

CANON'S REPLY:

Dear Marcus:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

At this moment there is no information available regarding any future
cameras. Please keep in mind, however, that Canon continuously reviews
its product lineup, and as new products are introduced, existing models
are often taken out of production. We recommend you check our website
(www.canoneos.com) from time to time to learn of new product
announcements in the U.S. market.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we
can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Erik
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,
you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with
unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. -
8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this
message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

That's a say nothing response from Canon. I will say that based on Canon's 18 month product replacement cycle, a new 5D is due in during next 6 months. On the other hand, the 5D is just so darned good they'll have to work hard to improve it.

You should just picked up a used 1Ds Mark II ;)

Honestly no idea but they are making some very antsy customers. :lol:

There are a LOT of gear magazines around, but during and right after the big shows they do reviews of all the freshly announced gear. Canon has always released their specialty gear (1D, 5D) outside of the show cycle to ensure they're the only ones with a camera out that month - hence guaranteeing the cover and "Best Ever" headlines. A relative newcomer like Sony instead still needs to do multi-unit releases such as the various A300s to ensure that journalists cover their product and include it in every comparison round-up (and to have more shelf-space behind the counter of big-box vendors).

Most reactions

Back