Anyone ID this equipment

Milo Keele

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I just acquired some old photo equipment and am not sure what this is. Is there someone who can ID it for me. Thanks in advance.
tripod.jpg

It looks like a dedicated tripod for a flat-base view camera. The stage will rotate 90 degrees to allow vertical orientation for a camera with a non-rotating back. I can't tell the diameter of the mounting screw, but if it's 1/4x20 it would be for a camera.

Just a guess.

Hey Thanks much Dennis.

It looks like a dedicated tripod for a flat-base view camera. The stage will rotate 90 degrees to allow vertical orientation for a camera with a non-rotating back. I can't tell the diameter of the mounting screw, but if it's 1/4x20 it would be for a camera.

Just a guess.
You could be right in the ID but it's not that simple with the mounting screw.
1/4x20 is used for may lighting kits & even non photographic items like my laser level...
Some cameras (especially large format ones) have a larger screw thread I think it's 3/8x16.

You could be right in the ID but it's not that simple with the mounting screw.
1/4x20 is used for may lighting kits & even non photographic items like my laser level...
Some cameras (especially large format ones) have a larger screw thread I think it's 3/8x16.

I downloaded the photo, and it appears to be 1/4x20. I also looked at a number of older cameras which could have used this type of tripod, from 3.25x4.25, to 4x5, all the way to 8x10, including some heavier plate cameras, and they all had 1/4x20 threads for the tripod socket. I owned a Seneca tripod made in the 1920's, and it came with 1/4x20 threads.

People underestimate the load limit on 1/4x20, and would be surprised that the static load capacity for that diameter can be as much as 145 lbs, sometimes more, depending on the steel strength.

My Cambo CS 4x5 camera has a 1/4x20 mounting base, and I use that size for my Mamiya RZ67.

People underestimate the load limit on 1/4x20, and would be surprised that the static load capacity for that diameter can be as much as 145 lbs, sometimes more, depending on the steel strength.

My Cambo CS 4x5 camera has a 1/4x20 mounting base, and I use that size for my Mamiya RZ67.

I don't estimate the load limit of a 1/4"x20 thread, I just use what is supplied by the camera manufacturer. In the case of my 5x4 monorail that's 3/8"

I have levels, lasers, IR thermometers etc that use ¼x20 threads as well.

Here are some more photos if this helps. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• tripod 2.jpg
    tripod 2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 101
  • tripod 3.jpg
    tripod 3.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 97
  • tripod 4.jpg
    tripod 4.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 103
  • tripod 5.jpg
    tripod 5.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 126
I don't estimate the load limit of a 1/4"x20 thread, I just use what is supplied by the camera manufacturer. In the case of my 5x4 monorail that's 3/8"
The OP asked about the head/plate of an old tripod. From my observations of tripods for years, I advised him on what I believed it to be. Questions arose about the sturdiness of the 1/4x20 stud used to mount the camera.

I've owned a number of medium and large format cameras, everything from 8x10, down to 6x6, and there are a number of tripod mounting threads on the bases. I've owned Mamiyas with 3/8 > 1/4 bushings factory installed, and some bushings held in with a small screw. Some camera bases have both size mounting holes.

My last comment just iterated that just because a tripod or camera had a 1/4x20 mounting screw or threads, didn't mean it was weak.

Like you, I use what ever comes on the camera.

Thank you for that information.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back