Anyone like Olympus?

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at the E-520. It seems like a lot of camera for the money. Does anyone have any opinions on Olympus, I never hear anyone talk about them.

franky speaking, i don't know many people using olympus either

I have not had any experience with their DSLR's.

Their P&S are excellent.

Olympus is famous for their high quality optics (they primarily make optics for the medical industry).

Basically, they are a good bang for your buck.

Their kit lenses are better than most others and the Image Stabilization is in the body, not the lenses.

Most other brands have followed Olympus's lead with live view and automatic sensor cleaning.

The whole smaller sensor issue and 2x crop factor is a... well. Don't believe everything you read, do your own research.

I have upgraded to their High Grade lenses but when I was considering upgrading my body to a 520 or 620, I decided to just buy another 510.

One happy camper.

Cheers, Don

The whole smaller sensor issue and 2x crop factor is a... well. Don't believe everything you read, do your own research.

That's a little disingenuous, don't you think? What you're really saying is that if you do your own research, you'll decide that you don't care too much about having a small sensor and a preposterous crop factor.

For that matter, I can't imagine that anyone with half a brain would do their own research and decide that those two things are actually better.

Wouldn't it be easier to just make your peace with your decision instead of acting defensive?

What I should have said is I'm tired of refuting all the misinformation I've read about the Olympus system.

Not defensive at all, just tired, sigh...

Don

Edit - As tempted as I am to respond in kind, I've decided to just upload a small sample of images taken with Olympus equipment.

Last edited:
I do. I own a E-420 but I use this for a very particular purpose: to take pictures of my daughter and be able to share with relatives who live in a different country. I always use ISO 100 (with flash indoors) and therefore cannot complain about noise, which is often reported to be quite high at higher ISO when compared to other entry level cameras. I am also very happy with the performance of the kit lens. For what I use it for, the results are quite good and certainly more than good enough for sharing pictures over the internet and smaller prints. I also like the small size of the E-420 as it is not too much hassle to carry out on days out and family events.

However, I should state that the Olympus E-420 is not my main camera. For more 'serious' photography I still use film in a Bronica SQ-A or even a Pentax Spotmatic F and I take much more pleasure in using those than the Olympus (something about their mechanical feel I suppose).

In summary, I like the E-420 because it serves the purpose I bought it for, but be aware that the E-system has its limitations (noise at higher ISOs being one of them). Do your research carefully and compare sample shots from sites such as DPReview. As Don said, there's a lot of misonformation about the Olympus cameras, often coming from people who never used them.

I Shoot Olympus Evolt E-510! & I Love It; like Don Said Bang For Buck
really great pics easy to use; I have 14-42mm & 40-150mm Lenses Both work awesome; i have a Vivitar 383 Dedicatd Olympus Flash and gte great Pics even though i'm a Noob XD if anything you else want to know PM me
here is a pic of a recent safari here in PR XD!

mb245182.jpg

PS Visit My Blog All Shot with Olympus Click on my Sig

Most reactions

New Topics

Back