Anyone need/want a GPS Capable camera?

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure... When I'm out in the country, scrounging for some pictures, I always take 3 things with me - a Weapon, a Cell Phone, and a handheld GPS.. Anytime I want to 'mark' a spot, I just hold the GPS up and take a shot of the screen. It dzn't happen often, but - I certainly 'do' use it. Does the GPS capabitlty cost much more in a camera? - I use a Canon 450D now, and am happy with the camera so have no immediate plans on upgrading, but just wondered if anyone has one and really uses that feature.

Tks,

r

From what I've seen, GPS units for cameras cost anywhere between $75 and $250. Check here: GPS/Geotagging Accessories

Out of curiousity, what sort of weapon do you take with you? (Which reminds me: did you know you can buy a machete at Walmart for about $7? XD )

Seems like you found a great solution for no cost
N.gif

Sounds like a pain to me when there is software out there (for free) that will sync the photos for you and write the GPS coordinates to the EXIF so long as your camera time and GPS time are in sync.

For times I want to do this I just plug a GPS into my camera, it handles it for me :D

Last edited:
From what I've seen, GPS units for cameras cost anywhere between $75 and $250. Check here: GPS/Geotagging Accessories

Out of curiousity, what sort of weapon do you take with you? (Which reminds me: did you know you can buy a machete at Walmart for about $7? XD )

I have a Glock on my hip at most times. Not only for the 4 legged critters, but those with 2 legs also.. Southern Idaho has a lot of Wolf packs now (Not kidding..), and I've seen many of them on my hikes. I've also seen several 2 legged ones eyeing my equipment .. Just think it's a smart thing to do where I go.. A Walmart machete wouldn't be good for much ... ;)

Keep with your current system...it works.

Geotagging your photos is neat, for about three minutes. I have a cable where I can tether my Garmin 60CSx to my camera, and it is a royal PITA. Unless you're on a tripod, you need three hands to take one photograph. I now just do the same thing you do...take a shot of the GPS with the scene/object in the background, then take my shot.

I think a GPS unit is made with a hot-shoe mount that plugs into the camera, but why am I going to pay for another receiver when I already have a good one.

Sounds like a pain to me when there is software out there (for free) that will sync the photos for you and write the GPS coordinates to the EXIF so long as your camera time and GPS time are in sync.

For times I want to do this I just plug a GPS into my camera, it handles it for me :D

I'd be interested in that software if you could provide a little more detail..

thanks,

r

On a related note, do you ever manage to shoot the wolves (with the 450D, not the Glock)? There's quite a lot within thirty minutes of here, but I've never seen them - though they turn up frequently in the news for taking livestock. It would be interesting to track one down with a camera...

I'd be interested in that software if you could provide a little more detail..

thanks,

r

Here's one, I think:
Pictomio - This free photo software enables you to manage and to GPS geo tag your photos and videos

And another:
http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Last edited:
have to second houda geo. Very easy to use once you have the times set up for your camera and gps unit. Once you've done it a few times, it'll only take a few minutes to associate your pictures to your path and view them in google earth (my preferred method)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back