Anyone use this lens?

I have a Rebel T1i + 17-55 ef-s and thsi will be my first buy :)

most people have had this lens or something similar personally like sigma's APO version

I heard Sigmas version was better - but I don't have it so I can't say for sure.

And? comments? lol

tell me more

lol .. I thought you were just asking who use this lens .... hahaha

The lens ... of course it is good. The build quality is not as good as the L lens, but it is not bad neither.

Optical quality is very good between 70mm and 200mm, and at 300mm, it is a little soft. If you are just looking for range between 70-200mm, then the 70-200mm F/4L is better.

However, if you like to have a longer longer length than 200mm and IS, this is the best you can get for the price. (consumer grade telephoto IS USM lens)

Go to slrgear.com and photozone.de for more reviews.

One side note, if you use CPL a lot, it may not be too convenience since the front element rotate when focusing.

Example: Photo taken with 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM at 300mm
3817801502_45b33ea28a_o.jpg

Photo taken at 210mm
3483059287_c115d84ca5_o.jpg

Here are the reviews of the lens

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS - Test Report / Review

Canon Lens: Zooms - Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Photozone said:

" ..... the lens is capable to produce a very high performance throughout the zoom range without the significant drop in quality at 300mm typical for most consumer grade lenses in this range. It seems as if the new UD element helps to lift the optical quality significantly. Distortions, CAs as well as vignetting are also very respectable. So in terms of optical quality the EF 70-300mm IS can be almost described as a hidden Canon L lens....."

Slrgear said:

"... When we ran this lens through its paces in our lab, we were flat-out astonished by the optical quality it delivered. Were it not for the largely plastic body construction, we'd say that Canon has mislabeled this lens: It really delivers L-glass performance. That plus a very effective image stabilization system make this an amazing bargain at its typical street prices of $600-650 US. ..."

I guess its a good move then, nice photos :)

can u use hood with this lens? what do u use to protect it? thx

I guess its a good move then, nice photos :)

Thanks for the comment.

Again, different people have different piority. Some people will go with the 70-200mm F/4L because it is a L lens with L quality and is one of the sharpest lens Canon make.

So, read more about the differences between the 2 and see which one is better for you. Good luck

I think there's a little bit of hyperbole going on when one testing site calls the performance of this lens "Hidden L glass" when testing on the EOS 350D's little 8MP crop-frame sensor... This lens hardly breaks 1800 Line Widths Per Picture Height at any focal length or any aperture.

Here are snippets of the review from Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS - Test Report / Review "micro-USM drive the noise level is very low. The lens does not feature FTM (full-time manual focusing in AF mode) though. Due to the rather slow max. aperture the EOS 350D had sometimes a hard time to find a really accurate focus at 300mm" "The build quality of the lens is about average and maybe a tad worse compared to its predecessor" "The various switches feel a little cheap." "the front element rotates during focusing operations which means that using a polarizer is a little cumbersome at best." " Compared to true L grade lenses the contrast level seems to be a tad lower at 300mm." "As much as it may promise here its build quality remains in line to what you can expect from a consumer grade lens and the small max. aperture is limiting its scope specifically regarding portraits where you seek for a pronounced fore-/background blurr only possible via large apertures (f/2.8 and larger)"

"L-glass"??? Let's see: slower than L focusing, without FTM focus override. Slow maximum aperture,and difficulty getting accurate focus at 300mm, average build quality and worse than the lens that came before it...rotating front element (the mark of a consumer grade lens for sure). Small maximum aperture limits one's pictorial capabilities. Low contrast at 300mm. Hardly L-glass. The price is okay,indeed, but this lens has SEVEN areas of notable weakness mentioned specifically in the review. That means this lens is nowhere near an L-glass lens in terms of performance. Not trying to bash the lens, but the people who wrote that review clearly wrote one thing, but then mention seven bad or sub-par aspects,and the testing was done on a very forgiving, low-MP sensor. There is L-glass, and then there is non-L glass. If seven weak areas means L-glass, then....that's simply not acceptable. Hyperbole is hyperbole.

Always use a tripod. I have a 300 mm Nikon Zoom. When taken abruptly and fail to focus the pic appears to be blurred. Not the fault of Nikon or manufacturer or camera but photographer's

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back