Anything Wrong with Shooting a Bill?

Try it...at least the publicity should be useful

Check these out:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/United_States_one_dollar_bill%2C_obverse.jpg
or
http://www.diealternativen.de/pics/1 dollar 9-11-2001.jpg

Maybe, just maybe...you should also read this:
Important 3/4 & 1-1/2 U.S. Secret Service money illustration rules
As listed by the United States Secret Service at money illustrations, the Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations (31 CFR 411), permits color illustrations of U.S. currency provided:
  1. The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated;
  2. The illustration is one-sided; and
  3. All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Is the image of the United states Dollar copyrighted? I have an awesome idea for a shot but I don't want the gov't knocking down my door:thumbdown::er::p.

Knock Knock.

Who's There?

U. R.

U. R. Who?

You Are SOOOO BUSTED!!!!:lol:

The laws are copyright laws. I'm no lawyer, but I'm betting you wouldn't have any issues. I mean, they show real money on TV, right?

If I earn it it's mine.
If possession is 9/10 of the law and I have it, it's mine.
It's on their linen, regulated by the government, and "copyrighted", does that mean it's not mine?
If it's mine, why do you have some of my money?
If I had it all, wouldn't everyone be using something else for currency?
If it belongs to them, what do I get for my work?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Paul M;1370922]If I earn it it's mine.
I'll give you that one.

I have yet to arrest someone for possession of an illegal drug that will agree with this one. It's never theirs at that point. :lol:

It's on their linen, regulated by the government, and "copyrighted", does that mean it's not mine?
If you are using your neighbors car and are in possession of it (see your above comment) is it yours????

You own the value of the money, not the paper itself.

I just patented oxygen. It is now mine. Are you going to stop breathing?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok in all seriousness, the laws regarding currency can be a bit confusing. I mean lets be realistic about this were are talking about the Treasury Department and they are Feds.

When I have to photocopy U.S. currency for a case I always do it at 75% of it's true size. Federal Judges get testy about it sometimes if you introduce a 1/1 reproduction.

I do not try and keep up on all the Treasury regulations, they are too vast and too complicated. I keep up on the simple ones, like if you pass a counterfeit bill it is, as we say in law enforcement, a No No.

As long as you are not taking a photograph of the money in such a way that would allow someone to attempt to pass it off as real currency I doubt that you will have a problem. :D

Of course I could be wrong on this one. If I am, just don't bend over if you drop the soap. :mrgreen::lol::mrgreen::lol::mrgreen::lol:

If I earn it it's mine.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It isn't so confusing if you consider that money is legal tender or contract with the government that backs its value rather than an object of posession.

As long as you are not printing it out and trying to use it, I think you will be alright, :wink:.

A copyright lawyer in the dc/baltimore/nova strobist group said something to me about a shot of a dollar I had on flickr for testing sharpness. Something about it's not illegal to shoot it, but be careful posting it every where because some might end up on your door step one day asking about your counterfeiting activities.

Hey all,

Is the image of the United states Dollar copyrighted? I have an awesome idea for a shot but I don't want the gov't knocking down my door:thumbdown::er::p.

I doubt the feds will waste their time on someone who took a picture of a dollar, lol.

Yes, it is completely legal to image US Currency. However, it can only be reproduced in B&W or at 75% size or 150% size, pretty much as deanimator said.

You folks who are spinning fears of big government need to calm down.

CrAp..:confused: So does that mean it's not a good idea to shoot?:meh:
No as astrostu said on sizes you display it at. It used to be illegal in the old days. If you watch old TV shows/movies the money is always fake. Now they show real money on both so, it must be legal.

Most reactions

Back