anyway to recover a memory card

Status
Not open for further replies.

coggonobrien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks, had a memory card fail during a photoshoot. Camera cannot read it and the computer doesn't notice it's there. is there a way to recover the pictures off of it or am I SOL.

Thanks!
David

There are certain companies that could possibly help you, however, it can be quite expensive.

p.s.: DON'T bump after 2 minutes!!
p.s.2: what is this thread doing in this forum category??

i bumped because i forgot to select email notification when i created the thread and the drop menu for thread tools was not working. as for the forum it was a professional shoot and I thought it would be something many professionals have dealt with in the past.
What companies and how much.

Well, I think it fits into the "Beyond the basics" category, so here it is.
Unfortunately I can't help you with your question, as so far (knock on wood) my cards have not failed me...

yea unfortunately we lost photo's from the beauty shop during the pre-wedding events. fortunately we had already decided to use 1 card for that, 1 for getting dressed, 1 for the ceremony, and 1 for the rehearsal.

As I've already said, find your local recovery company and contact them. They will tell you their price and how big is the chance of recovering your lost data. This can't be solved by yourself or by any of us on this forum, as this is a hardware failure.

The first thing you should do is stop using the card. If it's SD, slide the little tab over so you can't do any damage during recovery. I've successfully recovered jpegs using Recuva freeware. Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

I recently lost some important raw files in DNG format and wasn't able to retrieve them from the card. I brought them to a guy who advertised data recovery in his yellow pages and and he successfully retrieved all the missing files. Not cheap but worthwhile in this case.

Except one problem - there is no free software which can repair damaged SD card, which can't be detected by your pc......
480sparky and audiobomber, have you even read what OP said? One thing is recovering deleted files and other thing is to repair a hardware failure!

Except one problem - there is no free software which can repair damaged SD card, which can't be detected by your pc......
480sparky and audiobomber, have you even read what OP said? One thing is recovering deleted files and other thing is to repair a hardware failure!

Where was 'hardware failure' stated?

It seems obvious the OP has no clue what kind of error exists.

However, the statement "had a memory card fail during a photoshoot" does seem to indicate a hardware failure. Most likely a hardware failure of the card controller, particularly if a replacement card subsequently worked in the camera.

Unfortunately, the OP leaves out some of the information we would need to be more helpful, like card brand name, capacity, was a card reader used, upload application, computer OS.

If the card controller failed, the OP is indeed SOL.

Where was 'hardware failure' stated?

Camera cannot read it and the computer doesn't notice it's there.

What else could this be other than a hardware failure?? You can't use any recovery software if your pc can't at least see the card....

Data on the card could be possibly recovered, but certainly not at home by some freeware.... Why do you think there exist specialized companies which charge quite a lot for a data recovery? Freeware programs are great in case you deleted something by an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back