Aperture Q.

The finepix has a great light meter right on the preview screen that updates as you change the camera settings. With mine I'll point it at a bright spot on what I'm trying to photograph, and adjust the shutter speed (usually) until the light meter is in the middle of - and + then take my shot. I usually don't put the ISO over 400 because the noise starts to really show up.

But on an unlit candle there is no bright spot. Is there? Maybe I misinterpreted.

Interesting, are you taking these in the Fine JPEG settings?
They just don't seem to be as sharp as my experiment was.

How does it do for you in the daylight and good conditions?

It would be easier to show you guys. Maybe I should update the thread tomorrow when I can go out side and take the exact same picture over and over again with all the different settings. But to answer your question vaguely it usually does fine. But like I said, this is my first time using Manual. I usually use Auto or SR.

Well don't get frustrated tonight and try and solve all the issues.
Take a breather and have some fun with it ...lets see some stuff with different lighting like you suggested tomorrow?

:thumbup:

Thats what I'm afraid of. I get so frustrated. haha. I don't want to get fed up with it because than I will give up. So, be on the look out for some new pics in different lighting tomorrow sometime. Will be sure to go out and take some decent snow pics. :)

I want to thank everyone who is helping me with this. I appreciate it more than you know. :)

On my Fujifilm Finepix S1500, I'm trying to shoot in manual mode, and trying to shoot with an aperture of 8, but it won't let me go past 6.4 UNLESS I zoom in completely and I can't do that for this shot. Any ideas?

The F number is a ratio (focal length/pupil diameter). Zoom your lens (increase the focal length) without changing the diameter of the aperture and the f number increases. For example, your smallest aperture is F5 at 35mm. The pupil diameter will never become smaller than that. The higher Fstops are the result of increasing the fcal length.

I'm really just practicing manual mode. Maybe I shouldn't used that wording. lol. I was told Manual is the best mode for Noobs and to practice it a lot. What I did was take a picture of my dog in manual mode.

Use your camera to meter before you go randomly selecting apertures and shutter speeds.

ISO=100
1/320
F5.6:
DSCF1653.jpg

shutter to one second and Aperture to f/5.6:
DSCF1654.jpg

Auto:
DSCF1655.jpg

That is right outside my window.

Just realized that one and 3 are completely different pictures. Will that hurt anything right now? Should I try and get another one like number one in auto?

AJake - the white shot you just posted (you shooting in manual corret?) and the black shot from before show that you are still not reading the meter in the camera - you've got to read that manual and get the meter understood before you can progress - otherwise you are going to be having these problems constantly.
Also keep an eye on things - sometimes the camera can't take the shot and will have one or more settings flash at you (when in semi auto modes) showing that it can't get things quite right (ie on a bright day it might flash the shutter speed because it can't shoot fast enough) and that the exposure might be slightly off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back