Archiving memory cards?

My next project is to make coffee table photo books. These too are the kind of things people will actually save and look at. Well, maybe. But certainly better chance of that than cloud storage.

I was/am an entrepreneur of several businesses over the years from newspapers & publishing, agriculture, trucking transportation, and investments. In retirement I'm still involved in agriculture as a semi passive owner of farming operations, and investments. During my early years I worked as an EMT while in college. When we retired 12 years ago I was bored so I became a Fire & First Responder at our local VFD. I'm still in the department but in an advisory capacity, and in conjunction with my best friend (also an old fart) still write the grant applications for the department.

Your photo book comment is spot on. Last year I did a photo yearbook of granddaughter, as a coffee table book. I've been amazed at how much it gets looked at, by visitors and family. It's a spur of the moment thing for people, easy to access. Cost wise a good quality book is far less expensive then prints/frames on the wall.

You've given me inspiration. Thanks. Now I have to go through all those archived DVD's and start pulling out the best ones for a coffee table book. I'm still working on scanning old slides. It never ends. :)

? Is anyone appreciating them locked up in an old shoe box in the attic or in Google clouds?

It's possibly a little better now if you take the time to tag your images so future generations have a clue. I currently have boxes and boxes of old prints of family dating back to the 1800's, from parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles (all of whom are desceased). As the oldest remaining member of the family I've been able to identify a few but without any identifying information to go on, the rest are pretty much lost. I still hang onto them for some strange reason but I doubt when I'm gone that my kids will. In answer to your question, it's most likely that future generations will appreciate them about as much as the current generation. They'll be stored away, until like my old prints they eventually fade away.

Put them on some genealogy websites

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

? Is anyone appreciating them locked up in an old shoe box in the attic or in Google clouds?

It's possibly a little better now if you take the time to tag your images so future generations have a clue. I currently have boxes and boxes of old prints of family dating back to the 1800's, from parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles (all of whom are desceased). As the oldest remaining member of the family I've been able to identify a few but without any identifying information to go on, the rest are pretty much lost. I still hang onto them for some strange reason but I doubt when I'm gone that my kids will. In answer to your question, it's most likely that future generations will appreciate them about as much as the current generation. They'll be stored away, until like my old prints they eventually fade away.

Put them on some genealogy websites

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/
How does that work?

Join some free or cheap family history websites or make your own FB pages per surname.
Find the appropriate section for uploading photos rather than family data and post away for eternity.

Family Search I believe takes photos without having to list your ancestors names in a tree format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back