Film or Digital...oh the debates that those three little words have inspired!
You'll definitely get different answers, just the same as you'll get lots of different answers about what camera to get (I personally will go Pentax if I ever decide to get a DSLR). I love film and I know that I won't stop shooting it. I've had the photography habit for many years but it's somewhat intensified in the past 3 years or so and I have learned a lot more about film and photography in that time. Because of that learning curve, I think my digital pictures have also gotten better (I've only been using a digital camera for maybe 5 years - never had one before that.) The most common things said about film photography is that it makes you more thoughtful about each shot for various reasons: the limited number of frames per roll, the cost of the roll+developing, the time involved in scanning...That thoughtfulness also transfers to your digital photography and you start to see the strengths and weaknesses of each medium and how to work with them.
As for editing...I really don't know how much more you can do with a RAW file because I don't have a camera that can shoot RAW, though the ability to do so may be one of the reasons I decide to get a DSLR. I'm hitting the limits of this newer digital camera that I have and part of that might be the requirement of shooting in JPEG. Could I do more editing than with a digital scan of a film negative? Possibly. But I don't think 'photography' is sitting behind a computer. I'd rather spend more time out with my camera, taking shots that don't need intensive post-processing. I'd probably feel that way if I were doing the processing in a darkroom too. If I'm spending that much time trying to coax a good picture out of a poverty of raw material, my instinct would be to go out and learn how to get better material to start with.
All that being said, part of this depends on the kind of images you want to make. For portraits, a lot of the work is done with getting the lighting right when taking the photos, so lots of post processing might not be necessary. Also, if you're trying to build up a business of portrait photography, then cost may be a consideration, and digital will be better, especially as you're still learning. Because the one thing you'll have to do for sure in order to improve is to take a LOT of photographs. A LOT. And that is certainly easier and cheaper with digital.
But I can't help but suggest that you also get a film camera alongside your better digital camera, and when you're not practicing with one, practice with the other. The skills will complement each other. It's easy to take tons of digital shots but maybe it's too easy and you don't get so invested in each shot because you know you can just delete and take dozens more. You'll feel more invested in each film shot, so you'll pay more attention to try and make sure that each shot counts.