are these monitors any good

silve225

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep, thats pretty good IMO. I don't think you can get better for the same price or less.

Id say jump on it.

That's about as inexpensive as IPS displays that size get.

The display has a very rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio, an aspect ratio very few still photographs have.

Most DSLR cameras produce images that a less rectangular native aspect ratio of 3:2 (6:4, 12:8).
8x10 photos have an even less rectangular aspect ratio of 5:4 (10:8).

Consequently, most photos won't fill that display all the way to the sides when the photo fills the display top to bottom.

Don't worry about it. I don't see that much benefit in matching your monitor to your photo's aspect ratio.

For example, I use Lightroom and the interface can have tool/menu pallets on the left and right side of the central photo display area. So a wide format monitor allows for these pallets on either side, leaving a nice 'photo shaped' area in the middle.

The long side of the 16:9 display linked to is 1.7777 times longer than the short side (9 x 1.7777 = 15.999). My editing display (1600 x 1200) is only 1.33 times longer than the short side, which is between the 5:4 (1.25) and 7:5 (1.4) aspect ratios.

I use dual displays so my editing work pallets can all be on the second display, taking no viewing space from my primary display.
My second display is a smaller, TN type display.

Lightroom also accommodates using a dual display setup.

I use duel monitors as well, but don't really use the 2nd one for lightroom. Everything fits well on my main screen and the Lightroom interface just works really well as is. For Photoshop, I take full advantage of the second screen to host several floating tool pallets.

Currently i use two displays for lightroom. I use my macbook pro and my 20in dell screen. I find that using 2 displays in lightroom works great.

Most reactions

Back