Are you ready to take a picture?

dennybeall

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.citrusphotorestore.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see discussions of camera settings and techniques for planned shots but I wonder how many of us are ready if the shot of a lifetime comes up and we have just seconds to get the shot?
I know of one Pulitzer Prize that was captured that way, so how many of us are ready if OUR shot shows up.

f/8 and Be There.

90% of getting THAT shot is being there, so am I ready? Well, if I'm there, I got a better chance than most.

Beyond that, I usually have a camera with me and I know how to expose a shot properly in most conditions, so I'm about as ready as I can get.

When I head out I have a camera on the seat beside me, usually with a wide zoom, I have it set for the light conditions, with the shutter speed a little higher than usual and at 6.3. It sits where I can grab it with my right hand and shoot. You never know when something happens, of course being involved in a car crash isn't ideal for a great image, and a little tough to think about grabbing a camera while trying to avoid one.

You just never know.

I see discussions of camera settings and techniques for planned shots but I wonder how many of us are ready if the shot of a lifetime comes up and we have just seconds to get the shot?
I know of one Pulitzer Prize that was captured that way, so how many of us are ready if OUR shot shows up.
Yes because my Leica M4 is alway zone focused so it only takes me the time to frame and shoot

When I head out I have a camera on the seat beside me, usually with a wide zoom, I have it set for the light conditions, with the shutter speed a little higher than usual and at 6.3. It sits where I can grab it with my right hand and shoot. You never know when something happens, of course being involved in a car crash isn't ideal for a great image, and a little tough to think about grabbing a camera while trying to avoid one.

You just never know.
I bet your dad had his camerazone focused ready

Does this count? I shot it a bit wide because I had no idea where he was going, and he wasn't going to wait for me to get organized. I doubt he had any idea I was even there.

2009-08-02_19-36-42_0K3Q9787.jpg

Don't try this at home, or at the cottage!

You just never know.

Always has his Leica hanging on his shoulder.

You just never know.

Always has his Leica hanging on his shoulder.
I saw a clip of him using a digital M but does he still use his film M

Not so much anymore. It's been a while now, I would guess at least 5 years. He packed in the darkroom and sold the enlarger and most of the trays and tanks perhaps 10 years ago. The house doesn't have that just processed smell anymore.

OK, you see "the shot" and you have 2 seconds to get it. How is your camera set so you can just shoot? Can you really be set on manual and change f-stop, speed and ISO in just a second or two?

OK, you see "the shot" and you have 2 seconds to get it. How is your camera set so you can just shoot? Can you really be set on manual and change f-stop, speed and ISO in just a second or two?

2 seconds would be luxury! We were at a park by Lake Ontario, in Etobicoke. I was shooting a family dog, and some scenery. I saw a red winged black bird flying by. Another bird came screaming into my peripheral vision. At some point I thought they might collide and started to lift my hand, which was holding the camera. By the time I got the camera to my eye and cranked the zoom ring, the second bird had grabbed the black bird, turned 90° and was leaving. I think these are failures, but they are what I got. These are crops.

2014-04-09_19-01-14_IMG_9121.jpg and 2014-04-09_19-01-16_IMG_9122.jpg

Usually I have the camera set to Av (aperture) mode. ISO is usually set to something reasonable for the light. My Canon Rebel needs a couple of seconds to change settings. My bigger bodies have dedicated dials so making changes is faster. The bird wasn't waiting for me. I just did the minimum organization required and took a couple of shots.

no. I missed one the other day. wouldn't say it was a lifetime shot but I would have liked to have it. camera in camera bag, I had two seconds it would have taken me four to get it out.

ABsolutely. If I'm not sure what I might be shooting that day, I set my camera to f/8 (see above old adage, "f/8 and be there"), set the shutter to 1/500, and check to be sure the camera is on auto ISO (where it usually is if I'm shooting birds). That will get me a shot 9.8 times out of 10; and if I DO need to adjust shutter speed or aperture, that takes a quick flick of the dial, not something I have to think about at all.

The real trick is SEEING the shot, and having that camera with you when you do, not getting your settings right.
IF I have my camera, and IF I see the shot, I can get it.

But the times I miss the shot are, as bribrius mentions, when the camera is still in the bag...or worse, in the trunk!

OR, I have the camera, but I'm looking east and THE SHOT is happening to the west.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back