Arguments in the Challenges - COVID Stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any disagreements or fights, but I don't read every thread. Now about 5 years ago it was the wild west with threads getting locked on a daily basis.

I had issues it seemed with everything I posted in some of the challenges and in one particular case, I was publicly called out by the OP and I disagreed, and they gave me my only "Red X". Seemed very unfair since there was no discussion with me privately first to see what the story was with the image. I complained to a staff member here and was told that the person doing that particular contest was a user, like everyone else and that these were not affiliated with the site in an official capacity. For me, the best option then was to simply block the OP and move on. One disagreeable person does not a whole site make.

@terri, @SquarePeg, and @Dean_Gretsch on the POTM voting I touched on this once before. I understand that the forum software creates certain limitations but I'm assuming that the tabulation of votes is a manual step. So often there are some extremely tough choices, with the difference between winning and losing only a single point. Rather than blowing off those near misses, would it be possible to add a Runner-up or Honerable Mention award for the 2nd place finisher? Wouldn't have to a prise award just a little recognition.

@terri, @SquarePeg, and @Dean_Gretsch on the POTM voting I touched on this once before. I understand that the forum software creates certain limitations but I'm assuming that the tabulation of votes is a manual step. So often there are some extremely tough choices, with the difference between winning and losing only a single point. Rather than blowing off those near misses, would it be possible to add a Runner-up or Honerable Mention award for the 2nd place finisher? Wouldn't have to a prise award just a little recognition.
Dean's already on it. ;) Give the man a hot minute so he can roll this out as he's ready.

Red X means "disagree". That's it. Shouldn't make you feel too bad. None of us wants a forum where agreement is mandatory.

Honestly, the arguments here that I have seen are nothing compared to how things were years ago (2013-2016). There were lots of arguments, and admittedly I loved getting in the middle of it. I'm glad people change and mature, and while this forum isn't as active as it used to be, there is still a large group of active members and compared to the past we seem to get along much better than we used to. Admittedly there are some members who I used to dislike very much, who I have instead come to respect and get along with quite well. Funny how that works. Long story short, the arguments are naturally going to happen, just be glad that there is more love here than fighting.

I did however notice an exchange between a member and a staff member that was worthy of an eye brow raise. It seems that there are times when suggestions for change in the forum by the members who actually use this forum are met with unnecessarily heavy pushback from some of the staff, and perhaps that issue could be addressed by the staff and moderator team between themselves. I personally remember experiencing this when the suggestion of making an instagram page for the forum was made, and recently saw that same attitude when a suggestion for changing the POTM nomination process was made.

Last edited:
Dangit.
MODERATOR!!!!

Red X means "disagree". That's it. Shouldn't make you feel too bad. None of us wants a forum where agreement is mandatory.

It is, in my opinion anyway, a snarky way to respond. You most likely would not be happy if I did this with this comment. It should be open for discussion. The OP of that thread, according to the people that I discussed this with, is not really known for playing nice. I also worked as a Mod for the old PopPhoto forums, which were quite popular at that time and I would never call someone out publicly before having a discussion with them privately first. And generally, would not call them out publicly anyway. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about this, and the OP was out of line and rude implying that I was lying. And as I said earlier, one disagreeable person does not a forum make. Block is a better choice if he didn't like my work. EVERY image I posted got called out. And being very honest here, I really don't give a rat's rump about his opinion.

It is, in my opinion anyway, a snarky way to respond. You most likely would not be happy if I did this with this comment. It should be open for discussion. The OP of that thread, according to the people that I discussed this with, is not really known for playing nice. I also worked as a Mod for the old PopPhoto forums, which were quite popular at that time and I would never call someone out publicly before having a discussion with them privately first. And generally, would not call them out publicly anyway. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about this, and the OP was out of line and rude implying that I was lying. And as I said earlier, one disagreeable person does not a forum make. Block is a better choice if he didn't like my work. EVERY image I posted got called out. And being very honest here, I really don't give a rat's rump about his opinion.
Hmmm. I'm inclined to disagree, and instead suggest that an actual snarky remark is considered snarky, not a red "disagree" x underneath a post. If someone is upset over the way another member is speaking to them, I personally feel that is a valid concern worth addressing. If someone however is upset that another member is using the "disagree" function on their posts, I would be inclined to believe that the person leaving the "disagree" is not the issue, and instead see others reacting poorly to being disagreed with as the much bigger issue.

I have to agree with Zulu; no one should be subject to mandatory agreement. I personally think that finding better ways to handle the fact that someone isn't agreeing with another would be a healthier option for the entire community, rather than removing the function completely. The idea is uncomfortably close to needless artistic censorship, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sorry had to do it. You are all disagreeing over the correct way to disagree! If that’s our biggest issue I think we’ll be ok.

Use the disagree or not, freedom of choice. Some people do use it as a weapon - or at least they try to. But it’s there for your use and apparently not going anywhere. The internet isn’t warm and fuzzy but this site is a community and as in most societies, people are treated the way they treat others. No one can mandate politeness but if someone is continually rude and obnoxious they’ll soon find that they are on ignore by many members.

Hmmm. I'm inclined to disagree, and instead suggest that an actual snarky remark is considered snarky, not a red "disagree" x underneath a post. If someone is upset over the way another member is speaking to them, I personally feel that is a valid concern worth addressing. If someone however is upset that another member is using the "disagree" function on their posts, I would be inclined to believe that the person leaving the "disagree" is not the issue, and instead see others reacting poorly to being disagreed with as the much bigger issue.

I have to agree with Zulu; no one should be subject to mandatory agreement. I personally think that finding better ways to handle the fact that someone isn't agreeing with another would be a healthier option for the entire community, rather than removing the function completely. The idea is uncomfortably close to needless artistic censorship, in my opinion.

I am not saying everyone should have to agree. Far from it. You and Zulu have disagreed here, but no snarky comments or red X's. That's the way to do this and not a Red X and shut the conversation down. It's snarky and childish "take my marbles and go home" mentality.

I think these reasoned responses highlight my own dislike of the Red X functuon ..... I read these posts and thought they both made a good point, but if they'd just responded with a Red X I'd think they were being rude.

In the absence of the usual social signals we get when sitting together as a group, we need to rely on other indicators from the post - and a Red X in isolation is likely to be seen as a 'Red Rag' and create unproductive conflict (unless used as a joke as above anyway)

Imagine you were in a bar with a group of your friends discussing something you are all passionate about, and each time a person makes a point, one member of the group says 'I don't agree' then says nothing more. After the second or third 'I don't agree' you'd be getting pretty irritated, by the forth there'd be a chair smashing brawl.

Stating a contrary opinion for all to consider and respond to is healthy debate, just saying "I don't agree" and no more - is annoying.

Conversely, saying "I agree" after someone makes a point is socially positive and needs no further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back