Art as my college major? Is it worth it? Help!

xKncptRagex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll make this quick. I am an Art major with an emphasis in Photography. I'm wondering if it is worth it to go with photography. What I mean by that is how much money can I realistically expect to make with an art degree? For all you that did the art major, did you truly learn more than you would have on your own?

I recently transferred to a new university and am at the crossroads between majors. Any help and input would be appreciated.

If money is your concern art is probably not the best choice.

However, I would strongly advise against using money as your primary marker for decision making. In my opinion, you are much better off doing something you love and making less money than the alternative.

We aren't called starving artists without good reason. What kind of photographer do you want to be?

Joe

$30,000-40,000 is a reasonable average.

I've read that range from a few career websites.

I think maybe careerbuilder.com.

I think you should consult with professional advisors, teachers, professional adults that you know......

....not a bunch of random internet idiots.

You could do graphic design, web design, minor n photograph so it will be put to good use. Unless you don't mind eating Ramen noodles or Kraft Mac and cheese. My logic is go into a trade to pay for your hobby. Electricians, plumbers, hvac techs, construction workers, you get the idea :)

What do you want to do w/ your art degree?

Thanks for your quick responses guys.

I want to work for clothing companies and be their "in-house" photograper. I would like to do wedding photography as a side job. So that's the kind of photography I'm aiming to do and what I hope to use my art degree for. I'm interested in how much photographers make because I don't want to owe lots of money for my education and later be struggling to make ends meet.

My other option for a major is Politcal Science. This seems to be the safer choice. I'm interested in the subject but not nearly as much as I am in photography. I had a meeting today with the political science advisor today and he urged me to do what I like. Not necessarily what will be the quicker/safer route

What's the difference between an artist and a large pizza?

The pizza can feed a family of four. :lol:

Seriously--IN MY OPINION--Art is not something you should major in "for the money." It's something you major in because you KNOW you want to be an artist, or in the art field.

As far as what you can "expect" to make with an art degree? Somewhere between $500 to $100,000 a year. I have a sister-in-law who works for one of the DC art museums and makes really good money. I have a friend who is a capable artist who works in a different field because they just couldn't make a living with their art.

My son is majoring in art. Part of me worries about that, because I know something of what it takes to find REAL financial success as an artist. But--in his case, he is incredibly gifted and KNOWS this is what he wants to pursue. And I am a very firm believer in doing what you love.

But if you don't KNOW it's what you love, and you're asking questions about how much you can realistically make doing it--then it might not be the major for you. But I'd say the same thing about photography.

Especially of the person you quoted, eh?

You're a blind fool if you expect to make money out of the gate...or at all...with an art degree outside of an educational institution.

<< has an art degree

I just graduated with a BFA this spring. I spent a lot on my education. I'll be paying off school loans for a few years. For me, it was totally worth it. I had a full-time, well paying job lined up before I walked across the stage. I can't say this for every one of my class mates, though. It's definitely a case by case basis. If you are talented, driven and willing to work hard to get the most out of your education, you will be successful.

That being said, I work in advertising and make an extra grand or so every month doing photography on the side and I've only ever taken one photo class. I would NEVER say that I could be someones in house photographer. My friends that were photography majors learned so much that I'm not sure I could ever teach myself about commercial photography.

I agree with some of the above posters, you should do what you love. You'll find a way to be successful.

And not all artists are starving :p

Thanks for your quick responses guys.

I want to work for clothing companies and be their "in-house" photograper. I would like to do wedding photography as a side job. So that's the kind of photography I'm aiming to do and what I hope to use my art degree for. I'm interested in how much photographers make because I don't want to owe lots of money for my education and later be struggling to make ends meet.

My other option for a major is Politcal Science. This seems to be the safer choice. I'm interested in the subject but not nearly as much as I am in photography. I had a meeting today with the political science advisor today and he urged me to do what I like. Not necessarily what will be the quicker/safer route

I think photography is one of those fields where the skill and who you know is more important than your degree. If you JUST want to be a photographer, get a different degree besides photography. Get a degree that supplements that skill like business management or a mass communications/communication studies degree. You don't need a degree to be a working photographer, and many places that want to hire you will do so based on experience etc...

I can be a (theoretically) successful photographer without a college degree, so I'm getting a University Studies degree instead with concentrations in Mass Communications, Photography, and a yet to be added third area. I want to keep my options open as much as possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back