As a pro

I was bemoaning the lower status implied by the word 'amateur' and wished there was another word that didn't carry with it the negative connotations with respect to ability that 'amateur' does.

Perhaps your next thread will be titled "As an amateur..." ;)

Last edited:
I was bemoaning the lower status implied by the word 'amateur' and wished there was another word that didn't carry with it the negative connotations with respect to ability that 'amateur' does.

Perhaps your next thread will be titled "As an amateur..." ;)

slapping.gif

Geez........Is this a full moon Friday or what. Even the Mod's are getting in on the action. :lol:

Terri, I fixed your spelling boo-boo.

Last edited:
The pro/amateur subject will never be settled. I do know amateurs that are using high end gear that can shoot very well, I know pros with high end gear that can't shoot worth crap. I can produce high quality images from high end or entry level cameras, but that isn't what makes me a pro. It all goes well beyond money. I consider myself a professional because I can produce high quality images consistently, I have respect for for the clients that use my services and give them what they ask for. I show up to all my shoots on time and don't leave until the job is done correctly. I will do some shoots without receiving payment because it helps out an organization that can benefit from the images. I trade work for goods, the barter system, benefits everyone. Being a professional is just a title that allows people to believe they are going to be working with someone that has experience and skills, unfortunately it is also a word that is used by way to many people that don't have the experience or skills.

I would take a skilled amateur that I trust with a camera over a professional that doesn't act like one. Another part of being a professional is passing off work to another photographer that has more experience in a different field if it will help out a client. I'd rather see someone happy with results because they are working with the "right" person than trying to bluff my way through a shoot, it doesn't do me or the client any good, and damages a reputation. What goes around comes around, at least some of the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back