asking for ur criticism :-)

Love the light in both - nice balance between natural and artificial. You do need to use a tripod or support the camera on something to stop camera shake. But a good start.
Looks like a statue of Queen Vicky in the second one. Which city?

what is EXIF data?? I snapped the photo with a digital camera.

ISO is 400. and what I can remember shutter was 10, apperture is set automatically depending on zoom which was, what I can remember, 2.1 optical zoom.

whats the problem with higher ISO?? plz explain...

hey if I give long exposure using a tripod don't u think the lights on the posts would be over-exposed???

Hey I have taken those photos in my home city. Kolkata. :)

Its the statue of George the fifth of England. Probably, what I can remember he is the son of Queen Victoria...

santanuc said:
what is EXIF data?? I snapped the photo with a digital camera.

ISO is 400. and what I can remember shutter was 10, apperture is set automatically depending on zoom which was, what I can remember, 2.1 optical zoom.

whats the problem with higher ISO?? plz explain...

hey if I give long exposure using a tripod don't u think the lights on the posts would be over-exposed???

The EXIF data is the data your camera automatically stores with every picture you take. It contains data about the camera that took the picture, all of the settings(ISO, F-Stop, Exposure, etc...)
You can see this data in most photo editors such as photoshop.

Your EXIF data was:
Exposure: 1/10 sec (how long your shutter is open)
F-Stop: 3.5 (how large the shutter opens)
ISO: 400 (how sensative the film is)

concerning the ISO.... the higher the number the more sensative the film(or with digital "plate") is. So, the more sensative it is, the more noise you're going to have and the shutter doesn't have to stay open as long when the ISO is as high as 400.

what you should do for these pictures is:

Set the ISO to 100(lowest your camera can go)
set the F-stop to 5.6(highest your camera can go)
set the Exposure to manuel and play with how long the shutter is open... you will need a tripod with this setting though...

btw.... the higher the F-stop is your DOF(depth of field) will all be more in focus. you had it set very low.... so if the lamp close to you was in focus than the building wasn't and visa-versa.

hope all that helped...

:)

Thanx a lot for all ur help. yup I don't have a tripod. another thing is I could only control F-stop and shutter in my digital camera within a small range not like SLRs. moreover F-stop also depends on the zoom settings and it changes automatically as in zoom.

But its really valuable suggestions I got from u people and I learnt a lot today. :)

Thanks u again friends..

LittleMan said:
concerning the ISO.... the higher the number the more sensative the film(or with digital "plate") is. So, the more sensative it is, the more noise you're going to have and the shutter doesn't have to stay open as long when the ISO is as high as 400.
Thanks friend! but I have one more question regarding the noise.
First is what type of photographic noise u are speaking about?
And, say I have changed the ISO to 100 then I should have to increase my shutter from 1/10 to 1/3 or 1/2 (i.e 4 times) to maintain the same exposure. So when the exposure is same won't my photo capture the noise the same way???

Hope to recieve a reply from you LittleMan.

Thanks again :)

I took a couple photos at different ISO's to show you the difference.

Here is a lamp taken from 9 feet away.
F-stop 2.8
Exposure 1/8
ISO 80
80ISO.jpg

and here is the same picture cropped at 100%(in photoshop)
80ISOzoom.jpg

Here is the same lamp taken the same way only with a different exposure and ISO.
F-stop 2.8
Exposure 1/40
ISO 400
400ISO.jpg

Here is the same picture cropped at 100% the same way as the last...
400ISOzoom.jpg

As you can see the 400 ISO is MUCH grainier(noise) than the 80 ISO and with a slight adjustament of the exposure we get the same results.

The reason this happens is because if the shutter is only open 1/40 of a second than the light dapples on the film and the film picks up unnecessary light..... it's too sensative.... so it picks up light where it's not supposed to.

at 80 ISO the exposure was 1/8 of a second.... that means it had that much time to pick up all the little details.

The only time you would ever want to use a high ISO such as 400 is if you were shooting out-doors in full sunlight and you wanted to shoot something fast.... like a car.

You will need a tripod though when shooting at night with a low ISO(or even a high ISO)

Hope that explained it.... if you have any more questions please ask!
:D

I never get to talk about photography and explain it outside of this forum :p

Many many thanks LittleMan :)....

u have cleared a very big doubt that was lingering in my mind. actually I found that all my pics taken in shade got pixelated but pics taken in light are alright. I couldnot understand the reason. I thought may be that was due to improper resolution setting or lens problem. Now u helped me to understand that. Thanks a lot my friend.

But now I am in a problem!!! if I had to use tripod and slow shutter how can I shoot passing moments in artificial light with lowest ISO....coz such candid shots don't allow for setting up huge photographic equipments....

santanuc said:
how can I shoot passing moments in artificial light with lowest ISO

one word...... "flash"
Just use the flash that's built into your camera. :D

although, sometimes it makes a cool effect without the flash when done correctly.... like this one:

27100232.jpg

Hey LittleMan its always better not to use the built-in flash. at least thats my experience. coz whenever I used the flash it destroyed the lighting of my frame and made my frame appear very artificial due to uneven brightness. so I prefer not to use the flash.

Is there any other way to effectively use the built-in flash or any other technique to do the same thing....i.e. capturing moments in very low lighting condition...

santanuc said:
Is there any other way to effectively use the built-in flash or any other technique to do the same thing....i.e. capturing moments in very low lighting condition...
good luck.... I haven't found another way.....
It's either blur or "uneven light"

LittleMan said:
It's either blur or "uneven light"

in that case I shall rather opt for blur :). coz at least I can reduce it significantly by controlling my breath through practice. moreover by selecting a bit higher ISO though graininess would be introduced but it will not kill my composition.

to me a good composition and a truthful capturing of the lighting ambience is very important.

what do u think about this trade-off LittleMan?

Hi LittleMan a good news :) !!!!

recently I found a Noiseware Community edition software which removes all noise from a digital image. it has many features. I haven't gone thru all of them. I just processed my Victoria Memorial photo with it and got good result.

here is the output

DSC00292_noise.jpg

friend I have reduced graininess of my photo not pic blur with the software, not only for this one but for some other pics too; and the software gave quite good result. I am not sure if blur due to camera shake can also be reduced with a software.

Most reactions

Back