Attempt at "Edgy" Prom Shots C&C

Kyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well it was my little sisters junior prom and she didn't want to pay for the boring professional pictures at prom. So she asked me to come and do her hair, makeup and take her pictures. C&C please!!

gyna.jpg

gyna2.jpg

gyna3.jpg

gyna4.jpg

Thank you!

Edgy as in semi-goth/rock/vintage type photos? I think they look pretty good. Her facial expressions seem not to match the style you were going for. I feel if she had more of a look of longing in her face, as opposed to a smile, the effect you were going for would have been better accomplished. Similar to the 4th photo. I don't think the branches in 2 really contribute anything, but I think I get what you were going for. I like the coloring (or lack of) on 1, and the font :)

Also, keep in mind, I am TOTALLY new, so nothing I say really counts :) I'm pretty much just commenting to see how close I am to the real comments that come later.

Thanks LOL, a comment is a comment. I guess edgy can be viewed in many ways. What "I" meant by edgy was just........."different". Not the typical, flash photography, posed in front of a backdrop look.

There are a few where she is not looking right at me, like in the last one.

I like the setup in #4, but my eyes are just immediately drawn to that stop sign. I'm guessing this might have been your objective, but it kind of distracts from your sis.

#1-can't see her eyes, eyes are probably the most important part of a picture. Either use a reflector or fill flash to bring some light to the eyes.
#2-Same problem with the eyes, and why did you put her in front of the branches? It is extremely distracting and takes away from the subject, also, she has trees growing out of her head.
#3-Still can't see the eyes, and the train track has been done a million times, go find something new and exciting, break convention.
#4-She looks slightly OOF, the angle is extremely harsh in this one as well. I think if you got closer to the subject and threw the BG out of focus more, you would be much more successful.

. What "I" meant by edgy was just........."different". Not the typical, flash photography, posed in front of a backdrop look.
Which is funny, because the first background people go to, to be different, is train tracks.
I don't get the connection.

Oh, the misplaced symbolism!

It does seem to create nice depth via lines running to a vanishing point though, I can see the appeal.

I wanted to do more then just the train tracks but it had been pouring down rain so we couldn't go tromping through the woods like I had hoped.........she lives in a SUPER small town with like 200 people. So the options were limited.

Could have had her and some prom buddies crossing the street at a corner alla abby road.

Yeah super helpful ;)

I can see that the 2nd two aren't sharp..........I was going for the vintage look anyway.....so I thought they still worked.

The first two I dont' think they are out of focus, in my PP I added a creamy layer which made them look softer.

Ha, vintage, I was right. I am a photo critique champ. (obvious sarcasm here)

Here is my advice stop trying you suck

Who the Nutz are you, and where do you get off. Thats not even advice, thats just being rude.

At least say, 'you suck' then give the reasons why so she can work on them if she feels necessary.

Most reactions

Back