Attempt at "Edgy" Prom Shots C&C

I wish I could take sucky pictures. If these are sucky, and you should stop, then I should have smashed my camera with a hammer about 6 months ago.

Thanks Rancor. I KNOW that they aren't perfect which is why they are posted in the BEGINNER section and I am ASKING for C&C. But I also know that I have talent that just needs to be refined. I literally just got my first DSLR in December and people are already paying me to take their pictures. I WANT to take perfect pictures......I know that I am not yet.

For having started in DEC, and getting paid already, I don't think that can be overlooked as a good job. I got mine in NOV, but no money yet. I don't think I have the nerve to ask for money, I feel like I wouldn't live up to it.

LOL, well seriously, it does no good to tell me I suck. :) I want to improve! I really appreciate all of the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

The first two I dont' think they are out of focus, in my PP I added a creamy layer which made them look softer.
In my experience, "creamy layer" is code for the use of an action. Did you use actions on these?

Friends don't let friends use actions.

Yes.............I used actions. Why dont friends let friends use actions lol? :scratch:

Whatever........I just made $300 this weekend taking pictures. So I guess people like sucky pictures.

I have struggled with how to say this.
Nothing puts me off more than somebody looking for help and cites how much money they are making and the good ol' "well the client loved them" and other defensive responses I have seen in past threads. I know the response above was in regards to an obvious troll, but, there it is.

The answer is YES! People do like sucky photos they are not paying very much for.
I do wish you much luck in your endeavor to learn composition, exposure, lighting, and for your business.

Whatever........I just made $300 this weekend taking pictures. So I guess people like sucky pictures.

I have struggled with how to say this.
Nothing puts me off more than somebody looking for help and cites how much money they are making and the good ol' "well the client loved them" and other defensive responses I have seen in past threads. I know the response above was in regards to an obvious troll, but, there it is.

The answer is YES! People do like sucky photos they are not paying very much for.
I do wish you much luck in your endeavor to learn composition, exposure, lighting, and for your business.

I have never stated how much I'm making before, that person pissed me off and at the time I didn't know it was a troll. I said that instead of saying F*ck you!

Yes.............I used actions. Why dont friends let friends use actions lol? :scratch:

Actions generically edit every picture they are applied to. They have no regard for lighting, exposure, composition or image size/resolution. The action did not work for your first picture. It obviously made her eyes too dark when they needed to be lighter. Actions are a cheap way to get what you want and to get it fast. Sadly, for the most part, it makes images look like all other cookie cutter images. In my area, all of the MWAC's use actions and all of their pictures look the same. There is no distinguishing one photographer from another.

What were the settings and the lens you're using?

I only have the kit 18-55mm lens. The settings were AV mode, ISO 200, F5.6 I believe.

The first 2 shots being close ups show less of the eyes than the distant shots...Not sure if its the action used or maybe the shutter was slow and caused some motion blur, but off camera flash would've helped for fill in. If you shoot Canon and can afford the 50mm 1.8 for around $100 it's a great little lens for the price, these shots would've be nice and clear with it. It's best at f5-7. Her eyes will pop.
I'm not a big fan of tilted images let alone the "creamy" action added to the image.
Keep at it.

Whatever........I just made $300 this weekend taking pictures.
Is that $300 in revenue, or $300 after all your expenses are accounted for?

How much time was involved, pre and post shoot?

Dark eye sockets. Clients are not objective about image quality because of emotional involvement. Few clients have a technical understanding of photographic issues.

Most reactions

Back