Automatic ISO

The fear of technology and the simple misunderstanding of it and the proclamations of the superiority of manual exposure is absolutely hilarious on this thread.

Just so you know, Highlight Tone Priority is not an overexposure protection method--it's Canon's attempt to imitate Nikon's D-Lighting. If you're going to make a comment about something you know nothing about, and proclaim loudly over and over and over how great your technical skills are--then why are you shooting an autofocusing camera.

Only whimps use AF cameras.

Are you also using your camera's in-board light metering system 100 percent of the time, for every shot? Oh,yeah, I guess not...you're not hand metering with a Gossen Luna Pro and transferring the readings from the meter to your lens and your camera, still, thirty years later? (snicker)

The majority of your comments on this forum make it sound like you are desperately seeking attention and approval from the other members.

Wow, how old are you, 15-16? You know, maybe if I was 12 and needy or something, maybe... but I'm 49 years old and a little bit past the peer pressure days of needing your or anyone else's approval.

The sign of desperation with someone that has poor debating skills in a discussion-cum-argument is the person's need to bring in more and more and more things outside the ONE SIMPLE POINT of discussion.

And the fact that you believe you are smarter than todays digital camera just makes it seem like you're naive and you are the one that doesn't know how to use your camera.

Actually, anyone with Google access and able to type the words "zone system for digital cameras" will be able to out think their camera's metering system in a couple of hours. ;) Anyone that plays with their cameras at a more advanced level in low light situations will be able to make better ISO choices than their cameras.

It takes much much less knowledge and skill to throw it in manual and just be satisfied with the results than it does to really know the capabilities of the camera and use it to it's fullest potential.

That is quite a broad statement... obviously on somethings it will be true, but when it comes to auto ISO and a D200 and D700, which I am intimately familiar with, no, it is wrong. A knowledgeable user can make a better choice of ISO in situations where you are pushing the enveolpe. Obviously in daylight conditions... it makes zero difference what your auto ISO settings are, but I gave a clear example where I made a better choice of ISO settings than the camera could.

It's like the people that say why are you buying that $5000 camera when you will only use 10% of the functionality? Same applies to you. Why did you buy a D700 when you're satisfied getting basic results with fewer shots due to being slower in manual? You'd be better off with a N75.

Again, love that "let's bring in the kitchen sink into this argument fast... becuase he has a good point and I cannot beat him on that, so let's make up something else". ALL the functions of a D700 are vast, we are talking ONE SIMPLE ITEM.

If you aren't utilizing your camera then you aren't getting as good of a result as you could and you certainly wasted your money.

Are you saying that if you are not regularly using the camera in P-mode, then you are not getting the most from your camera? Uhmmm, okay, whatever puts the cream in your twinky. But I am not speaking about that... we're talking auto ISO... stick to that, this is the topic being discussed.

The fear of technology and the simple misunderstanding of it and the proclamations of the superiority of manual exposure is absolutely hilarious on this thread.

My understanding of Auto ISO is complete, my proof that I can make better decisions than the D700 is in this thread also.

Do you also have issues discussion/arguing by tossing in the kitchen sink as well? Having another bad day? I do not care about any excuses you have, I am just tired of your totally crap and useless posts.

When I do not know what something is, I say it (go to post #14 in this very thread), but if you look at the name of HIGHLIGHT recovery (Canon's own name for this), it's not outside the realm of the possible that it will have little to anything to do with the SHADOW DETAIL recovery methods of ACTIVE D-LIGHT. Have I read up on it, nope, I am not a Canon user, not care to read up, and if the above statement is wrong... well, what do AF lenses have to do with with the temperature of tea served in China?

The majority of your comments on this forum make it sound like you are desperately seeking attention and approval from the other members.

Wow, how old are you, 15-16? You know, maybe if I was 12 and needy or something, maybe... but I'm 49 years old and a little bit past the peer pressure days of needing your or anyone else's approval.

The sign of desperation with someone that has poor debating skills in a discussion-cum-argument is the person's need to bring in more and more and more things outside the ONE SIMPLE POINT of discussion.

And the fact that you believe you are smarter than todays digital camera just makes it seem like you're naive and you are the one that doesn't know how to use your camera.

Actually, anyone with Google access and able to type the words "zone system for digital cameras" will be able to out think their camera's metering system in a couple of hours. ;) Anyone that plays with their cameras at a more advanced level in low light situations will be able to make better ISO choices than their cameras.

That is quite a broad statement... obviously on somethings it will be true, but when it comes to auto ISO and a D200 and D700, which I am intimately familiar with, no, it is wrong. A knowledgeable user can make a better choice of ISO in situations where you are pushing the enveolpe. Obviously in daylight conditions... it makes zero difference what your auto ISO settings are, but I gave a clear example where I made a better choice of ISO settings than the camera could.

It's like the people that say why are you buying that $5000 camera when you will only use 10% of the functionality? Same applies to you. Why did you buy a D700 when you're satisfied getting basic results with fewer shots due to being slower in manual? You'd be better off with a N75.

Again, love that "let's bring in the kitchen sink into this argument fast... becuase he has a good point and I cannot beat him on that, so let's make up something else". ALL the functions of a D700 are vast, we are talking ONE SIMPLE ITEM.

If you aren't utilizing your camera then you aren't getting as good of a result as you could and you certainly wasted your money.

Are you saying that if you are not regularly using the camera in P-mode, then you are not getting the most from your camera? Uhmmm, okay, whatever puts the cream in your twinky. But I am not speaking about that... we're talking auto ISO... stick to that, this is the topic being discussed.

Yea I'm 15 :er: Just a response to you saying you're not here to impress anyone or care what people think when it's pretty clear that you have to make you presence known in every thread and somehow make some comment to mention you own a D700 or make some comment that implies you're better than the person posting. That is attention seeking behavior.

And again... if you think you can out smart or out think the camera, then you don't know the capabilities of your camera or you have a much bigger and more unrealistic ego that I thought.

Again... (I don't know how many times I have to something before you actually comprehend) I'm not talking about Auto-ISO as a stand-alone feature. Features within a camera actually work together. I know it's hard to grasp the concept but it's true.

Kitchen sink? Good point? We're talking ONE SINGLE ITEM.. AGAIN I wasn't aware an item in a camera was capable of functioning 100% on it's own. I'm glad I learned that today. You haven't made a single point. Is your ego so big that you think a vague opinion of yours is somehow fact, make a point and applies to anything outside of your head? You're delusional.

I can't reply with anything technical because you haven't said anything technical or provided any validity to anything you've said.

I work with a lot of pros who use these cameras all day every day. From Victorias Secret photogs to Sports Illustrated photogs; and not one of them uses manual more than 10% of the time. The majority of them have said they never use manual.

My understanding of Auto ISO is complete, my proof that I can make better decisions than the D700 is in this thread also.

No you can't. And "because I said so" isn't providing proof. You haven't provided proof of anything. Just like always. You expect people to accept your word as god.

No you can't. And "because I said so" isn't providing proof. You haven't provided proof of anything. Just like always. You expect people to accept your word as god.

My word is my bond, and worth a lot more than you ever will be.

However, you are MORE than welcome to try to set your camera to P-mode or A-mode walk into a dark room, set the auto ISO to 6400 and get a clear 1/25th of a second shot at ISO3200 when the camera is trying to shove ISO 6400 in there for you... by coincidence, just like I posted earlier in this same thread.

Ok... back into the ignore list with you... we're done. :D

Last edited:
Well, I guess it goes from God, to Jerry to you to the cleaners. Right, Kent?
:lmao:

lol. Once again the only thing that Jerry proves is that he really has no clue what he's talking about. You keep mentioning P and A mode incorrectly. You word is worth more than me. lol. You're becoming a bigger joke and nuisance than Derrel.

You two need to hug and kiss! :hug:: LOL

Oh c'mon. He is the most annoying person on this forum. He can't make a single post without saying he's better than someone in some way.

This is ridiculous and I'm kinda disgusted with most of you on this thread.

What I see in this thread is one person saying what he does with his equipment and giving some rational reasons why, and the rest of you beating him up for it for no reason other than, essentially, him being a silly old fart and not embracing the new fangled technology.

I see very insulting and degrading posture from a lot of people here... some folks I would think that know better... others that I'm starting to think perhaps do not.

How many of you prople belittling Jerry drive a manual transmission car? Hm? Based upon the logic I see being tossed around this thread... if you do, yer basically a huge idiot.

Grow up.

I love you man!

Yes, I'm drumk... cheers!

My signature says it all... take my replies with full knowledge of my sources - I hide nothing! :D

Manaheim, you're one of my favorite people on this site - I hope you don't hate me brother!

This is ridiculous and I'm kinda disgusted with most of you on this thread.

What I see in this thread is one person saying what he does with his equipment and giving some rational reasons why, and the rest of you beating him up for it for no reason other than, essentially, him being a silly old fart and not embracing the new fangled technology.

I see very insulting and degrading posture from a lot of people here... some folks I would think that know better... others that I'm starting to think perhaps do not.

How many of you prople belittling Jerry drive a manual transmission car? Hm? Based upon the logic I see being tossed around this thread... if you do, yer basically a huge idiot.

Grow up.

That's actually the problem. It's not one person saying what they do with their equipment and giving reasons why. It's one person coming into a thread and attacking everyone else because he finds them inferior. Jerry doesn't explain things. He demands that you do things his way of you're inferior, inexperienced and an idiot. When in reality. His methods are ridiculously outdated and generally have no relevance in the threads he enters. He is the one constantly belittling people.

If you see him being insulted and degraded then good. He deserves it. Do unto others...

If you like manual settings fine. But don't come in here and attack everyone else because you can't figure out your camera and they actually use the technology found in todays cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back