What's new

b&w as a medium - your thoughts

demondrivemaster

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
burnley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so what do people think of b&w as a medium personally i think it adds character and can make a picture really stand out.
what are your thoughts?
 
I look at a lot of monochrome photos and really enjoy them. I have actually been toying with buying a cheaper film camera and putting b/w film in it.

I have heard that the higher contrast scenes render well in b/w, and I guess it depends more on using different colored filters ( which can be done in the digital darkroom for digitals ).
 
not sure the word medium applies here, but...
i am a HUGE fan of grayscale...i've said for years that i wish the world where only grayscale...i have since grown to love color, but i am a sucker for B&W.
i think it comes from my old passion for charcoal and pencil drawing.
 
This question can easily be mapped onto a discussion of, say, oil/watercolor/acrylic vs. pencil/charcoal/etching.
 
I prefer B&W photography, but like anything else it has it's place.
To me it is a much more artistic style and I beleive the composition, exposure etc must be better than in colour since the photograph must capture the viewer's eye without the use of colour.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom