B&W Conversion Feedback

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I ended up going to Mount Rainier yesterday for some shots. This is the first one I've processed. I'm not too sure how the conversion went - I definitely like the composition of the picture, though. I used the channel mixer to convert to b&w. Besides that, I dodged/burned and did some basic contrast adjustments, but that's about all. Feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

3638Edit by echoyjeff222, on Flickr

To me, it doesn't look as if there's a lot of variety in the grey tones, especially in the bottom half. If you were to cut the image in half, you would see much more tonal range in the top, and very little tonal range in the bottom. The effect that this has is it makes the image feel monotonous on the bottom. I do like how you framed the edges with the pine tree, but the portrait orientation does not work for me. A good painter to study for these types of shots is Cezanne.

Hmm, okay. Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to add more contrast to the bottom half - would that improve the tones?

Also, I did the portrait orientation because I saw those leading lines around midway through the image. I wanted to emphasize those and also include the nice, wispy clouds in the sky. Also, I thought vertical orientation worked better for the framing and the subject itself (the mountain). Why doesn't the portrait orientation work for you?

Ooh. I did a little crop to start the picture at the leading lines ... how's that? I like it!

Mount Rainier 3 by echoyjeff222, on Flickr

Thanks ... I went ahead and watched a few videos on tonal range and a few articles ... I played around with curves a little more. This is a good learning experience! I've never really focused too much on tonal range before. Here's the new image - I also added the curves, if that helps.

Curves by echoyjeff222, on Flickr

MT5 by echoyjeff222, on Flickr

Here are separate curves

scenic-both-curves.jpg~original

I'm not sure what to take from that ..? It looks like the bottom part of the image is heavily dark, but it also has midtones. Do I necessarily need a full range of tones in every section of the photo?

It looks like two different pictures to me, neither one quite satisfying.
The top half doesn't have any imposing tones, etc. but isn't far away
The bottom half is so snow-and-soot as to almost be a Japanese style graphic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back