B&W Film/paper suggestions

zrbarnes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm starting an Intro to Photography class (all b&w) but unfortunately I'm low on cash right now. I've got my kodak D-76, fix remover, wetting agent, and a Pentax K1000. They'll supply the fixer, tanks, darkroom, etc. I'm looking to save money on film and photo paper.

The teacher recommended Ilford HP5 Plus ISO-400 film. I have a friend with a bulk film loader, so I'm looking at getting a 100' roll, which will be just about enough for the class. Would you recommend any cheaper substitutes (remembering that this is an intro class and I'm not aspiring to reach professional status at this time ;))?

Also, I will need to purchase "b&w fiber-based, photo paper (at least 100 pack)" according to the syllabus. Can someone recommend me a nice balance of good vs. cheap paper?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would recommend buying from Freestyle they have there "own brand" (its actually just repackaged name brand.

I have shot the Arista Premium (which I think is tri-x or something of the sort) It is a pretty good film for two dollars a roll. They also have a Legacy brand which is some Fuji film. I haven't used this one so I cannot comment on it.

I do not use fiber paper only resin coated so I cannot comment on fiber paper from experience. I would suggest Adox, Ilford, kentmere, or Oriental. I like them in RC.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php

Yes, Freestyle is it. Check out their prices as a first thing.

And, their Arista Premium is a great bargain on an excellent film.

Yes the Arista Premium is good.

I haven't personally used Kentmere but I have heard good things. I would try it and see what you think.

Arista Premium and Legacy pro are both awesome inexpensive films, I haven't shot anything but them for the past year and have zero complaints. The Kentmere fiber paper is great as well. I have a lot of beautiful prints that I made of it years ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back