B&W for Music Fans

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I think the quality of the picture is kinda bad. The wood looks grainy. But here it is. I'm more concerned about the composition. What do you guys think? I know it's probably been done before, but I havnt yet, and thats all it matters right now.

20081013-thanksgiving-dinner-08-0821.jpg
@ http://imbty.wordpress.com/

The hand seems too smoth, but purposely did that. I wish I had the 50mm for this.

I don't feel people should avoid taking pictures that have more-or-less been taken before. Even if an idea has been done before the execution and finished product will always be different in some way.

As for your image, on the whole I like it. The blurry hand is a problem for me though, not because it's blurred, but because it's a dominant feature and blurred. It takes up so much room in the left side of the image, it makes me feel like my left eye isn't focusing properly.

I love the idea, but if it was my image I'd play with the idea a little more. Maybe angle the fret up a little and place the hand flat across the strings to give it a little more DOF?

What do you guys think of the bracelet? Too dark? Does it look like it was "painted" on?

What do you guys think of the bracelet? Too dark? Does it look like it was "painted" on?

I actually thought it was a rubber band...doubt that is what you are looking for :p. I agree with the blurry hand comment, my eyes were like my lens on autofocus, I kept looking for the center, but couldn't find it. It is a totally awesome idea and I hope you retake it. I want to try this kind of shot on my brother.

what guitar is that? I play a Yamaha FG730S <absolute best quality out there for the 300 dollar range IMO sounds more like a 500 dollar Martin:)

Ditto on liking the photo overall...as well as trying new things out...even if they're not new to others.

Have to agree with the hand...it's just big, out of focus, and sticks out with the black background on the right, big white hand on the left.

Also distracted a bit by the white pant leg in the bottom right. Maybe lowering yourself to just slightly adjust the composition...keeping the foot out of the pic?

Great use of perspective, the guitar strings bring a nice leading quality to the photo.

what guitar is that? I play a Yamaha FG730S <absolute best quality out there for the 300 dollar range IMO sounds more like a 500 dollar Martin:)

a cheap one. not exactly sure. i played it once or twice, that's about it.

Ditto on liking the photo overall...as well as trying new things out...even if they're not new to others.

Have to agree with the hand...it's just big, out of focus, and sticks out with the black background on the right, big white hand on the left.

Also distracted a bit by the white pant leg in the bottom right. Maybe lowering yourself to just slightly adjust the composition...keeping the foot out of the pic?

Great use of perspective, the guitar strings bring a nice leading quality to the photo.

actually. i was waiting for someone to comment on the foot, lol. hmm. ive noticed that i tend to not do the "subject that's focused must be in the center of the pic". i agre ethough, the hand is WAY TOO BIG

I actually thought it was a rubber band...doubt that is what you are looking for :p. I agree with the blurry hand comment, my eyes were like my lens on autofocus, I kept looking for the center, but couldn't find it. It is a totally awesome idea and I hope you retake it. I want to try this kind of shot on my brother.

i will try to retake it. its actually a rubber band bracelet kinda thing.

thanks all

i like it also, but with the hand, maybe it would be cool to reverse the idea and take one from the headstock looking down, so the fretting hand can be seen in action then the strumming hand can be in the background and doesnt have to be sharp?

good shooting...but the hand its like over exposed..or that is your style..

The big, bright hand, and sharp, fine detail of the guitar are competing for the viewer's attention. In the end the hand is too much of a bright blob to be a good main subject point, and it blocks enough of the detail of the guitar to keep the guitar from being the main subject. Possibly try shooting from the other direction, and keep the sharp detail where the fingers meet the strings?

actually. i was waiting for someone to comment on the foot, lol. hmm. ive noticed that i tend to not do the "subject that's focused must be in the center of the pic". i agre ethough, the hand is WAY TOO BIG

Looking at it again...the foot itself doesn't really bother me...it shows the guitarist is sitting down...the bare foot lends to my imagination personality of the person playing the guitar. It's the white pant leg though that draws my eye. If the person were wearing a darker color cloth, or shorts...it may have been a non-issue.

I thought about the idea of shooting from the neck looking down, but then you loose the detail of the body big and in the foreground, so I didn't mention it.

A long exposure from the neck looking down might be neat though to see as the person moves their fingers once or twice along the frets(?).

Keep up the fun work!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back