Baby bro's first Halloween! :D

Ummmm, well, let's see. Your composition is not appealing. The baby is positioned in an unnatural way. Newborn posing takes some time to really master. The skin tones are way off and look extremely orange. Shooting at a much closer range would have provided better detail and looked less like a snapshot. When shooting babies at this age you should not try to sit them up because they are unable to do so on their own at this stage. Position them in a way in which they would likely be more comfortable and the results will be much more pleasing.

janineh said:
Baby skin seems orange. The background (sheet) could be fixed up. I would never sit a baby that age up. It looks wrong and uncomfy. poses are not appropriate for its age.

My moms a mother of 3, she knows what she's doing and this is how she wanted it

Hmmm Swift, Janineh is one of the premiere professional newborn shooters on this board. You've pretty hastily discounted her expertise in this area. Are you going to listen to her, a paid professional about what makes a good newborn photo and looks right in a photograph? Or are you going to be your usual self and make 1,000 excuses instead of just listening to what others have to say?

unpopular said:
don't know about that, but it certainly doesn't help.

You know that some models binge to stay in shape, right? They aren't comfortable when modeling. We knew my brother was comfortable up until he started falling over.

You do know what "binge" means, right? I guess models "binge" all the time to make sure their bodies are in perfect shape for their photo shoots. That's how I try to keep my model-ish figure, by "binging". The strategy hasn't worked as well for me. :lol:

Besides your woeful lack of understanding of this term, it's even more frightening that you'd put the discomfort of a paid professional model and a helpless newborn in the same category.

Guys, don't be too harsh on him. Any time that there is a newborn introduced into a family dynamic, members, especially male members, are going to become defensive easily. Parker hasn't had the experience to know when to set his feelings aside and know that he is speaking from instinct to protect his family.

I agree he's a little punk, but given the circumstances his reply is totally understandable.

Well that escalated quickly....

For the record, I didn't pose him :)

We've had a professional shoot him before, the photos were rubbish. Absolutely awful, and they had a flash! I'm not the only one that's said that, hundreds of others preferred mine over the others that were shot by the professional. They show character through his expressions and poses, that's the significance. They look bad? I really, REALLY wish I had saved the before photos. So much toying with gradients, WB, multiple tools, etc. The good news for my family is that it was done for free.

So let me ask you guys this: Good photos shot for free?

This photo is everyones favorite by far

Attachments

• $image-749810461.jpg
    $image-749810461.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
It's your brother, can't you just reshoot? Seems better than putting so much time into trying to save something that you said yourself was awful lighting and set up. Don't think they can be saved. He's cute as hell and it wouldn't take long to look up how to pose a newborn. You don't need a flash just use window light during the day.

shortpants said:
It's your brother, can't you just reshoot? Seems better than putting so much time into trying to save something that you said yourself was awful lighting and set up. Don't think they can be saved. He's cute as hell and it wouldn't take long to look up how to pose a newborn. You don't need a flash just use window light during the day.

This was a quickie and we are very happy with the results. I just wanted opinions based on my results, kinda hard when I haven't saved what they originally looked like. Next time will be much better upon more preparation. Will try and get a good reasonably priced flash for portraits, I don't want to exceed $200 so recommendations would be great. A TTL one for Canon. I'll probably post another thread asking for those answers in another post so that I can have a look at them. Right now my problem is lenses for what I want to start a career in shooting

Haha! I like the baby's face in the first picture. His face is like : "Wooohooo!"

unpopular said:
^^ doesn't matter if she knows what she's doing. The poses are unnatural.

and thus, the pictures suck

Agreed.

janineh said:
Baby skin seems orange. The background (sheet) could be fixed up. I would never sit a baby that age up. It looks wrong and uncomfy. poses are not appropriate for its age.

My moms a mother of 3, she knows what she's doing and this is how she wanted it

Being a mother of 3 does not make her good at posing portraits it just means that you feed the child and dont endanger them to a point that child protective services takes them away.

The images have bad lighting bad posing and the background is way to close to the subject.

swiftparkour94 said:
This was a quickie and we are very happy with the results. I just wanted opinions based on my results, kinda hard when I haven't saved what they originally looked like. Next time will be much better upon more preparation. Will try and get a good reasonably priced flash for portraits, I don't want to exceed $200 so recommendations would be great. A TTL one for Canon. I'll probably post another thread asking for those answers in another post so that I can have a look at them. Right now my problem is lenses for what I want to start a career in shooting

It doesn't matter how those photos looked like before your edit. They don't look good full stop. Even after hrs of editing. Please don't put a baby at risk by positioning it not age appropriate. If you want to learn, you should re shoot and try and make it better. There shouldn't be a massive edit nessecary if you get it right while shooting. Good luck!

If you want flash I would look at cheaper all manual flashes. I have 2 yongnuo 560s and they are great. If you shoot them off camera (which you should) then you aren't really going to use ttl anyway.

There will be situations and things you may want to do where all natural available light just won't cut it.

First and foremost never position any subject directly against the backdrop. They need to be a few feet from the backdrop
Less is more. Rule of thumb: One prop per image, maximum. THis is all about pumpkins and that god awful pumpkin thing. Had they been about the baby they'd have been much better. There are major issues on focus as well. ]
NEVER use a white vignette. It's a sure sign of AWAC and it just plain looks like cheap and cheesy.
You didn't save the before... so you deleted the raws? I think that's a cop out for I don't want you to see how bad I screwed up. Sorry.

Most reactions

Back