Baby Portrait...

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got some practice yesterday with my friend's baby.. How did I go? I realize I cut a bit of her pinky off. She was squirmy so I probably should have backed up a bit. I still think it's a cute picture. Her skin tone looks ok to me, but I'm sure something is wrong with it..:lol: I got a nice catch light in her eyes and she's smiling!! :mrgreen: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

6836069740_ccdcda6f2f_z.jpg

Ok, Here's a couple more... Anyone??? I could really use some feedback on how to improve. Thank you!!

6838663364_dac69c2dbe_z.jpg

6984794385_94a620deab_z.jpg

I think these look nice, I am sure your friend will love them. I think they could be better by getting down eye level and having baby look right at the camera :)

For me, 1 and 2 (the color photos) are just a bit bright. I also agree about getting down at her level.

The B&W is a bit strange to me in that there is a lot of contrast and I don't really like how dark the "dark" spots are on her dress and how dark her mouth appears. Almost "inky" to me. Just my $0.02, but what do I know...

I think these look nice, I am sure your friend will love them. I think they could be better by getting down eye level and having baby look right at the camera :)

Thanks, Paige...That was a challenge. She followed mom and when mom was right behind me she would look up at her. Honestly, I don't think I got one picture of her looking directly at the camera. I was happy to get some in focus and her smiling...:lol:

I absolutely love that last one.

Paige is right; if you are eye level with the kiddo, it will make the photo more engaging and easier for the viewer to connect with.

In the first two, the unevenly lit background distracts me. I don't know exactly what your location looked like, but my guess is that if you'd stepped a few steps to the left, those streaks of light would not be in the photo.

Your camera height is too high..you are shooting "Down at her". Those stripes of sunlight on the grass behind are also distracting. These ARE however, good,sharp, clear renditions of their baby girl. Better than what many people would be able to achieve with their cameras or phone cams and limited photo knowledge. And so, the parents will probably like these, but they do lack the polish of a pro's photos. I understand why you are not shooting at the baby's level--background issues. Outdoors in park like that, or a yard, if you get the camera down to the baby's level and also properly keep the back of the camera parallel with the baby, you pick up....weird objects in the background....and so, to eliminate them, you stand up, and just shoot down at the baby, who is plopped on the grass on an obnoxious, pink-and-white, patterned blanket that clashes horribly with her dotted dress.

I think the best way to improve would be to try and get the camera's height JUST right, and on an infant, that means you're gonna be shooting while kneeling, or squatting, or sitting on your butt. Cute kid. She looks like a real photo-stealer!

Yes, The park we were at was like an island with parked cars and a street. I was on my stomach and kneeling, but ended up getting cars in the background. It was my first time going there and I won't go back. How do you get a six month old to look at you when all she's interested in is mom? Yeah, I agree with the blanket..It's all the little details that are a challenge to remember.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

How do you get a six month old to look at you when all she's interested in is mom? !

Get a squeaky toy, something with lights, and a long feather (peacock type from hobby lobby) to tickle her with :)

Great idea.. :)

Can anyone recommend a good book on taking portraits and posing?? Also, do you bring your own blankets or just tell the parents what to bring??

Search for sandy puc on YouTube . Lots of great tutorial on baby portraits

How to get them to look at the camera:

9c6b852f.jpg

Idea from pinterest. For under $8 I got scrunchies, google eyes, and colored felt. With a hot glue gun I had a frog, a puppy, a bunny, a bear, and a silly monster. I've only had the chance to pull them out once (and I reserve them as a last resort) but for the 18 month old I was shooting it did the trick!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back