Backpack reccomendations?

Riggaberto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a lot of stuff to transport and I want to upgrade from my crappy canon backpack to a bigger, better one. It needs to carry all the following at once:

5D
Xti
70-200 2.8 IS
24-70 2.8
16-35 2.8
50mm macro
speedlite 580ex
hoods for all
accessories
extra space for other crap
*tripod attachment

I'm thinking some sort of water resistance would be smart, as I will be walking around with 1000s worth of stuff. Anybody had good experience with any particular models? I'd prefer lowepro because I've had good experiences with their quality, tell me what you have and like.

I have a lot of stuff to transport and I want to upgrade from my crappy canon backpack to a bigger, better one. It needs to carry all the following at once:

5D
Xti
70-200 2.8 IS
24-70 2.8
16-35 2.8
speedlite 580ex
hoods for all
accessories
extra space for other crap

I'm thinking some sort of water resistance would be smart, as I will be walking around with 1000s worth of stuff. Anybody had good experience with any particular models? I'd prefer lowepro because I've had good experiences with their quality, tell me what you have and like.

I have the LowePro AW300 Slingshot. It is very comfortable, and using the belt (properly) will really take the load off your shoulder/back. It does have a cover that comes over the bag, and packs back in a pouch very nicely. Currently, here's a list of things that are in there right now

Cameras
40D w/ battery pack
20D
Video camera

Lenses
70-200 f/2.8 (Sigma, still big) w/hood
17-85IS w/ hood
10-20mm w/ hood
lensbaby 2.0
50mm f/1.8

Strobes
430EX flash
420EX flash

Accessories
Gary Fong Lightsphere II (2 of them)
Video camera dock
5 batteries, 2 battery chargers, 20pack of AA batteries
flash bracket hangs on very nicely
and misc accessories (cleaning, card reader, filters, etc).

At this point, I have the bag maxed out. I do more event stuff, so I need to take most, or all, of this with me to most places, along with a laptop. So, I'm actually going to sell this and move on to a Tamrac Expedition 7, which has room for a laptop too.

I use a Lowepro Computrekker AW. It would probably hold all that stuff might it might be tight. It's got a laptop sleeve but it's also good for magazines or papers etc. Like all 'AW' bags, it's got a built in rain cover. It also has a front pouch for miscellaneous stuff. It has a tripod holder.

One thing I don't like about this bag, is it's rounded shape. When wearing it...it sticks out quite far from your back...which puts a lot of weight quite far from your centre of gravity. Next time, I think I'll go for something more like the Nature Trekker style backpack, which is longer/taller but doesn't stick out so far.

^
i find the same thing with lowepro. weird balance. the one i have never stays put either, it's always slipping off my shoulders. AND it can't handle being stuffed full of heavy gear. the seams are parting.
honestly, 2/10 stars.

i want a crumpler. brazillion dollar home or 7 million dollar home. they seem like the bottemless pit of camera bags.

I actually like the quality of my Lowepro bags...it's just the balance of this style backpack isn't great. Part of the problem is the Laptop sleeve and the back padding...I suppose it's a trade off.

^
i find the same thing with lowepro. weird balance. the one i have never stays put either, it's always slipping off my shoulders. AND it can't handle being stuffed full of heavy gear. the seams are parting.
honestly, 2/10 stars.

i want a crumpler. brazillion dollar home or 7 million dollar home. they seem like the bottemless pit of camera bags.

I've been pretty impressed with Lowepro quality. I've seen several bags, and have certainly put mine to the test. It is currently just about as packed as you can get it, and should be busting at the seams...however, it is holding up like none other.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back