Backstage Fashion Show Shooting

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
UPDATE: I'm going to keep a running depository of all the photos here in the main post. For those scrolling through the replies, I will also provide more background info on each image as I post it in the replies.

Hey again,

So I had the chance to volunteer and shoot a charity fashion show. I was given a 10ft by 10ft space, and a very short white-ish sheet (roughly 6ft tall) for a backdrop that most of the models were taller than. Chose to use a ladder to help angle it out.

All in all, I had about 2 minutes with most models, so it was a challenge to get them comfortable and snap off a shot. Background separation was an issue because of space.

Anyways, this is my first time doing any sort of high-key portrait shooting. Hell, its my first time doing any studio style shooting, I usually work outdoors as you all know. Its going to take me awhile to post the images between classes this week, but I'd really appreciate some critique as its a new area of portraiture for me.

Oh and before I forget, the theme was "Roots." Some of the clothes came from local thriftstores.

Athena - SFA 2013 by TogaLive, on Flickr

Anastasia - SFA 2013 by TogaLive, on Flickr

My CC: I like the colors, and the lighting overall. Its soft, and matches her skin textures. I don't see any majorly out of place hairs. I'm a bit iffy about the mostly centered composition, but I think that her hair being to one side helps even it out. The top could be a bit darker, all the glittery bits are a tad distracting.

3. More of a fun/messaround/artsy pic. Difficult to make it worth anything in the amount of time I had. Don't really know what to make of it.

SFA 2013 by TogaLive, on Flickr

4. Almost too generic of a portrait. I'm not a huge fan of this one. More DOF would have helped.

5. Tried to split the image between her tough persona, and the designer's clothes.

More to come as I edit them...

As always, thanks!

Toga

Edit: Updated with my own CC. Shortened the intro. Concision is key.

Last edited:
Uh oh, zero replies and 123 views in the People Photography section? I must have done something wrong :meh:

Perhaps I just haven't provided enough images? Or maybe its the watermark spooking folks away from CC? I'd really love to know.

Getting snubbed on nearly every post has been a regular thing lately, I'm surprised to see it happen in this area of the forum though.

Hey Toga, the forum got a little brutal for c&c there for a bit, I'm thinking Cabin Fever may have finally broken for many lol

People really aren't my forte but here are my thoughts, I quite like the shot, it looks nice, simple and clean. Nothing stands out to me as a distraction. Well done :)

What I've found is that with that many views and no comments, the photo is fine. Meaning that there are no major issues with it that can really be picked on. What it means is that it just isn't one of that WOW photos. I looked at it earlier and didn't see anything that I could comment on as far as C&C goes. I could nit pick and say that I personally wouldn't call this hi-key though.

I'm no pro but I can give my two cents. First of all, I really like the photo. She's very pretty, good focus, exposure. But I don't think this would be considered high key? Or at least what I've come to think of as high key. This looks to be a pretty standard portrait with an all white background. But it looks great to me!

I like - you captured a genuine smile. I would love to see some with shadow effects, she is a very pretty model

Hey Toga, the forum got a little brutal for c&c there for a bit, I'm thinking Cabin Fever may have finally broken for many lol

People really aren't my forte but here are my thoughts, I quite like the shot, it looks nice, simple and clean. Nothing stands out to me as a distraction. Well done :)

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words, and the CC :)

What I've found is that with that many views and no comments, the photo is fine. Meaning that there are no major issues with it that can really be picked on. What it means is that it just isn't one of that WOW photos. I looked at it earlier and didn't see anything that I could comment on as far as C&C goes. I could nit pick and say that I personally wouldn't call this hi-key though.

I'll keep that in mind with the whole "many views, no comments" thing. I suppose I need to remind myself of that, I'm still stuck back in the days when every image would be blasted with CC (useful or not). Also, I appreciate the honesty with your comment on passing it earlier. Catching that special moment that really makes it a "wow" image is something I've yet to be able to do in my portrait shooting.

Just looked it up, it would appear I had a mis-interpretation of high-key. Man I wish we could change thread titles on here.

I'm no pro but I can give my two cents. First of all, I really like the photo. She's very pretty, good focus, exposure. But I don't think this would be considered high key? Or at least what I've come to think of as high key. This looks to be a pretty standard portrait with an all white background. But it looks great to me!

Your totally right, calling it high key was a mis-interpretation on my end. Shows how little studio stuff I get to do. I appreciate the honesty! :)

I like - you captured a genuine smile. I would love to see some with shadow effects, she is a very pretty model

We do plan on doing an outdoor shoot sometime, more up my alley. I'm hoping to get some really great images out of it, she is a fantastic model!

Don't get worked up about page views. Many of them are non-registered guests, not members...so they can't post.

First off, it looks like a nice comfortable portrait, so well done, especially considering the circumstances.

Secondly, I wouldn't call that high-key. Keying is when you match the clothing/accessories to the background.

I think I would prefer a deeper DOF. The OOF hat is a bit distracting because it takes up so much area.
And to be really picky, the catch lights in her eyes are a bit 'messy'...but that's not something I'd fuss about.

Don't get worked up about page views. Many of them are non-registered guests, not members...so they can't post.

First off, it looks like a nice comfortable portrait, so well done, especially considering the circumstances.

Secondly, I wouldn't call that high-key. Keying is when you match the clothing/accessories to the background.

I think I would prefer a deeper DOF. The OOF hat is a bit distracting because it takes up so much area.
And to be really picky, the catch lights in her eyes are a bit 'messy'...but that's not something I'd fuss about.

Yeah, I've since come to that realization about the wording of the title, maybe I'll get lucky and the mods can change it?

I appreciate the feedback, and looking at it, I see what you mean about the hat. Odd as it might seem, I've never photographed someone with a hat before, so thats going to be something for me to keep in mind.

As for the catch lights, I think I could have had my flash slightly lower and more centered, almost more like a butterfly lit shot. I think the messiness is due to the reflector being used camera left to bounce some light back up under her hair?

I think it's a solid portrait. Especially with the amount of time you had.

Yeah, I've since come to that realization about the wording of the title, maybe I'll get lucky and the mods can change it?
What would you like it changed to?

I will add that perhaps using a silver/gold reflector to bring just a little more light onto her face might not have gone amiss; the exposure difference between her chest and upper face is a little bit strong, but as the others have said: solid job.

I will add that perhaps using a silver/gold reflector to bring just a little more light onto her face might not have gone amiss; the exposure difference between her chest and upper face is a little bit strong, but as the others have said: solid job.

I actually did end up having a large silver reflector camera right. Perhaps using the gold side would have been a more appropriate choice given her skin tone? I see what your saying about the exposure difference, definitely something to watch for next go around.

Cute outfit, cute girl,decent lighting! As Big Mike said, MANY page views are from the great masses of unregistered guests!!! I think guests might outnumber members by 10 to 1 many days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back