Backstage Fashion Show Shooting

I will add that perhaps using a silver/gold reflector to bring just a little more light onto her face might not have gone amiss; the exposure difference between her chest and upper face is a little bit strong, but as the others have said: solid job.

I actually did end up having a large silver reflector camera right. Perhaps using the gold side would have been a more appropriate choice given her skin tone? I see what your saying about the exposure difference, definitely something to watch for next go around.
I meant 'gold and silver' most 5 in 1 reflectors have a side that is thin gold and silver stripes; provides the best of both worlds.

I meant 'gold and silver' most 5 in 1 reflectors have a side that is thin gold and silver stripes; provides the best of both worlds.

Ahhh that makes quite a bit more sense! Unfortunantly mine doesn't, but I'll look into picking up a cheap one, or maybe making my own, could be a fun project!

There is a white jagged line between the model's hair and her face which I find distracting. It looks as if you painted white down the side of her face and neck - perhaps for separation? Her hair is quite dark and I think without the white line, her face would be better framed. Just my thoughts and, aside from that, I like your photo :thumbup:

Looks great to me.. especially for having been your first go at any type of studio set up! And heck, it would have taken me 2 minutes just to decide where to stand to take her photo. lol Kudos.

There is a white jagged line between the model's hair and her face which I find distracting. It looks as if you painted white down the side of her face and neck - perhaps for separation? Her hair is quite dark and I think without the white line, her face would be better framed. Just my thoughts and, aside from that, I like your photo :thumbup:

Thanks! I see what you mean, but nope, no painting or editing. All that was done in PS was sharpening of the eyes, and cloning out of a stray hair on her forehead. I will keep in mind the note about her hair framing her face though for when we reshoot!

Looks great to me.. especially for having been your first go at any type of studio set up! And heck, it would have taken me 2 minutes just to decide where to stand to take her photo. lol Kudos.

Haha, it was so rushed! The hardest thing was appearing composed to the designers and models.

I'll do my best to get another photo posted later this evening when I get back from classes. This one is a favorite of mine, it will be interesting to see how the others stack up.

Sorry its taken me so long, I've spent 11 of the past 24 hours running statistics simulations for a class, which have caused my laptop to crash twice now.

Anyways, here is another one for you all to pick away at (please do!). Her name is Anastasia and she was one of the designers in the show, not a model. Unfortunately the backstage area was very hot, so she was a little sweaty, resulting in some hotspots on her cheek. I haven't done anything to clean these up yet, simply because I can't decide if they help or hurt the photo. Any thoughts?

I had less time with her than the others, but I wanted her to come across as fun/spunky/yet thoughtful. She is wearing her own design, which being so bright, made background separation an issue.

Rip it apart :D! I'm really having a great time reading all the CC :)

Anastasia - SFA 2013 by TogaLive, on Flickr

My CC: Highlight on her camera-right cheek/jawline is distracting. Hotspots might be a bit distracting. Overall image may be just slightly warm.

EDIT: MORE!

Really just don't know what to make of this one. More of a fun/mess around shot than anything else.

SFA 2013 by TogaLive, on Flickr

4. Again, not sure what to make of it. It seems lacking, which is oddly how I felt with the model in front of me. Suppose maybe I projected that. More DOF would have been good.

5. Wanted to find some middle ground between showing the model off (very tough persona) and the designer's clothes.

Last edited:
Not to be too greedy, I'm already very happy with all the CC for the first image, but any thoughts on the newer ones? I think #1 and #2 were the best. Coincidentally, it was after image 2 was taken that my time with each model got cut even shorter (the show was about to start).

Hi Togalive. Out of the last set I like photo 5.

Photo 2 - there seems something amiss with the eyebrow area (her right) - but apart from that I like her expression and the natural feel of the photo appeals to me.

Photo 3 - I like the idea but the fact that the jacket opening is to the side seems to throw out the line where you have split the photo. Try cropping just above the skewed side of the jacket so you only leave the right side showing and see what you think. I think this would have worked better in landscape giving more space to her right side.

Photo 4 - I find the white line from her eye to nose on her right side distracting. I think it would have worked better if she had made eye contact with you. Looking up, she seems bored.

Just my thoughts and no guarantee that I am right!

I would add though that I think you are doing really well and I really liked the first shot you posted. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back