Ball head on a monopod

BRN1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Someone help to open my eyes a bit. What advantage is there to having a ball head (or other) on a monopod?
I just purchased one but I have not used a mono pod with my camera before. Do I need to get a head to go on it like a tripod?
Thanks in advance.

I'll be interested to see other responses to this as I've been looking at mono pods and heads too. Don't know about a ball head monopod configuration but the tilt head is so you can shoot vertical.

Horizontal and VERTICAL format. And having an Arca Swiss type head on it is handy if you have an L bracket or other arca compatible accessories.

I use NO head on a monopod...ANY lens I use on a monopod has a rotating tripod collar, so horizontal and vertical is no problem.

I use NO head on a monopod...ANY lens I use on a monopod has a rotating tripod collar, so horizontal and vertical is no problem.

hahaha... there is that!

Derrel said:

Damn good point Derrel, glad I waited for a response from someone with a bit more experience.

The problem with that is the majority of photographers here that use monopods are unlikely to own lenses with a rotating tripod collar.

Like Derrel, I just always rotated the lens in the tripod collar to change framing orientation, and tilted the entire monopod slightly forward or backward to shoot slightly up or down.
For closer in shots I used an extra handheld body or 2 for shorter focal length lenses.

Thanks for the input! I just thought about it, I could use the head off my tripod if I ever wanted to try it. Doh!
Anyway, thanks for the help.

cgipson1 said:
The problem with that is the majority of photographers here that use monopods are unlikely to own lenses with a rotating tripod collar.

Just bought a 70-200 and haven't had a chance to play with it much. Totally forgot about the collar.

A ball head on a monopod is fine, that is until you use it. Then it generally detracts from the purpose of the monopod. A monopod is not just a stick on the ground used to support weight, but designed to provide a 3 point base system to steady the camera. It will not be as stable as a tripod, as the human is the weak link in the 3 point system, but it is better than hand holding. First things first, lean to use a monopod correctly. How To Use A Monopod & Multi-Purpose Tripod

As for a ball head, once you put the camera in portrait orientation, you have defeated the purpose of the monopod as the weight of the gear is no longer over the monopod, but to the side. If you need portrait orientation, you are better served by attaching an arcs-swiss Quick Release plate to the monopod and attaching an arca-swiss L bracket to the camera body and rotate the camera on the mount. The other option is something like this that allows you to rotate the body over the monopod. For lenses with feet or mount rings an arcs-swiss foot plate allows you to center the weight of the gear over the monopod by moving the gear back and forth until centered, again adding to the overall stability.

If your monopod is set so that the camera is at eye height, then to look up or down you have to lean forward or back. I shoot birds a lot and they might be down low or they might be up high in a tree. I don't want to constantly adjust my monopod, and with a ball head (actually mine is just a tilt head and only pivots up and down) all I have to do is move my head up or down. My monopod stays in a solid position, I'm not overbalanced one way or the other, and it's just much easier for me. If I'm not shooting something where I'll have to look up or down frequently I just lock it down tightly and it doesn't move. I like it and can't imagine trying to use a monopod without one.

I just purchased one but I have not used a mono pod with my camera before. Do I need to get a head to go on it like a tripod?
That was the point of this thread. Some people like them, some don't. It's up to you.

SCraig said:
If your monopod is set so that the camera is at eye height, then to look up or down you have to lean forward or back.
I have a monopod that I can quickly adjust the height with just a twist. Quite handy. I think its a Promaster.

Most reactions

Back