Banned Photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how posting a photo of a handgun is going out of my way to do anything.

If people truly have an issue with it, though, they must be apoplectic over the gun ads on the home page...

Lol.. Steve.. come on now. You are a lot smarter than that and we both know it. You know full well that posting these pictures does get a rise out of some people. Debating on whether that is right or wrong, well that's a different debate entirely. As for the ads, I'm assuming a lot of folks are like me, they just ignore them completely.

But frankly Steve I have to be honest and say that I think your ire is simply misplaced here - I don't think it's fair to put this on the Ops when the original intent was to actually ease the restrictions and give some consideration to gun owners. Had they allowed such pictures in the past and were talking about a total ban, well then I could probably see why that might get you up on the soap box. But the opposite is true, such things were completely banned in the past and now they are trying to give gun owners a bit of consideration while attempting to balance that with the I hate guns crowd - In a forum, I would point out, that isn't about guns, gun ownership, gun rights, the 2nd amendment, politics or anything even remotely related.

My ire is properly placed. It's directed at the idea that a small group of people determine what does and does not have artistic merit on TPF. They decide what is "art" and what is not.

The idea of posting photos of guns is actually secondary. I've suggested that it be in the subscription area, but apparently that requires the reinvention of the wheel...

its all about penis size. The bigger the penis the less need the guy has for having really high trucks and posting photos of his guns.
Notice I didn't post any photos.

I don't see how posting a photo of a handgun is going out of my way to do anything.

If people truly have an issue with it, though, they must be apoplectic over the gun ads on the home page...

Lol.. Steve.. come on now. You are a lot smarter than that and we both know it. You know full well that posting these pictures does get a rise out of some people. Debating on whether that is right or wrong, well that's a different debate entirely. As for the ads, I'm assuming a lot of folks are like me, they just ignore them completely.

But frankly Steve I have to be honest and say that I think your ire is simply misplaced here - I don't think it's fair to put this on the Ops when the original intent was to actually ease the restrictions and give some consideration to gun owners. Had they allowed such pictures in the past and were talking about a total ban, well then I could probably see why that might get you up on the soap box. But the opposite is true, such things were completely banned in the past and now they are trying to give gun owners a bit of consideration while attempting to balance that with the I hate guns crowd - In a forum, I would point out, that isn't about guns, gun ownership, gun rights, the 2nd amendment, politics or anything even remotely related.

My ire is properly placed. It's directed at the idea that a small group of people determine what does and does not have artistic merit on TPF. They decide what is "art" and what is not.

The idea of posting photos of guns is actually secondary. I've suggested that it be in the subscription area, but apparently that requires the reinvention of the wheel...

Lol - Ok, again Steve - your smarter than that and we both still know it. You know that it's not being judged on artistic merit but rather context. A really crappy gun photo is fine, as long as it's posted in the proper context. As for a small group of people getting to decide that context, well that's how pretty much all moderated forums work.

its all about penis size. The bigger the penis the less need the guy has for having really high trucks and posting photos of his guns.
Notice I didn't post any photos.
Yeah, if you say so. If that was the case everyone would post a photo of their desert eagle.

I guess those who want to see photos of guns without paying can just wait for the "conceal carry" ad to come around.

It's actually pretty funny that such an ad is there, given the rules which have been mentioned here time and time again...

Lol - Ok, again Steve - your smarter than that and we both still know it. You know that it's not being judged on artistic merit but rather context. A really crappy gun photo is fine, as long as it's posted in the proper context. As for a small group of people getting to decide that context, well that's how pretty much all moderated forums work.

See, I have this pesky little habit of saying exactly what I mean. Terri did not say that moderators will decide the proper context. She said they will decide whether or not something is "artistic".

Until such a time as Terri comes back and addresses that, or until such a time as the powers-that-be come here and state, without qualification, that she was wrong, her statement stands.

She did not state that moderators decide the context. She said that moderators decide whether or not something is artistic. That's disturbing.

Words mean things...

Steve, I’m going to override Overread (which is incredibly fun to type) and revert back to my original suggestion that you take your concerns to PM. In fact, your questions have been answered by several different moderators, repeatedly, in both of your threads. Overread specifically addressed your question regarding what is viewed as “here’s my gun” snaps versus a more artistic depiction, at length, directly to you. The fact that you read his reply but are still plowing on suggests you are more interested in prolonging the drama, and simply refuse to accept answers that you just don’t like.

You have also made presumptuous comments regarding the site owners' stance on firearms (and you’re wrong), and you have been dismissive and disrespectful to people who are trying to talk to you in a rational or friendly way. Quit picking on the members and come find me for a chat.

To everyone: thank you for the discussion. I think we’ve reached the point of saturation, where different folks are asking the same questions, so the thread seems to have reached the point of diminishing returns. Some of you were asking about the site ownership: it is Forum Foundry, and they own several other forums in addition to TPF. Anyone who is not happy with the moderators’ comments should please feel free to address any specific concerns with ekool or 4Nines, they are great guys with excellent understanding of large forum dynamics.

And some were wondering about the guideline itself: the owners themselves sign off on anything that gets included in the FAQ’s here. Please know that it is not up to the moderating team to write them, just enforce them, as best we can. We do appreciate that sometimes feathers get ruffled and people want to vent or mock us or just blow off a little steam – understandable (albeit a mite painful, since we really don’t want to upset anyone). Thank you all again for your support and consideration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back