battery grip worth it?

I've got one grip that swaps between two bodies (D300 & D700). I am like minded with Sparky in that if mounted on a 'pod, I usually remove it, but if I had two grips..............

If you do get the grip, make sure you don't lose the battery door you take off when installing. :-D

If you ever want to go back to gripless, you'll be searching all over for that little door to keep the battery in. :lol:

Click his links as he suggests, they pay him well =)

If you do get the grip, make sure you don't lose the battery door you take off when installing. :-D

If you ever want to go back to gripless, you'll be searching all over for that little door to keep the battery in. :lol:
The grip should have a slot made specifically for storing that door. In the part that goes up into the battery compartment.

click whose links??????

yeah, that's why i was asking what happens to the door. i know i'd lose it. :lol:

thanks again everyone.

I use grips because I have to... I am female, so it does add a bit of weight and bulk to my cameras that is a bit tough on me... I've developed tennis elbow from the camera, 70-200 f/2.8 and grip. For YOU it won't be an issue. For your daughter it might. It isn't like she HAS to use one... I gotta say, I really love not having to worry about my batteries for a day's shooting!

Mleek - careful there with the female thing - I know 3 top wildlife shooters who are female and they lug masssssive lenses and gear around ;) Plus I'm sure if we poke some of the oldtime wedding togs and sports togs they'll have tennis elbow and more lurking around ;)

As for using AAs in an emergency, it seems like a useless feature to me. I simply have a 2nd set of charged batteries with me if I think I'll drain the batteries.

we are planning on 4 batteries each as well.

i also saw chargers that plug into 12v in the car.

but there are occasions, particularly in the DR that i am without electricity for 3-4 days.

not sure even 4 batteries would last that long. that's why i liked the idea of being able to use AA's.

though, comparing prices.... i can buy a pair of batteries, for the cost of two sets of AA's. might just be better to stock up on camera batteries.

Camera batteries will give you a lot lot more use than AA batteries ever will in the DSLR. In addition there are reputable 3rd party DSLR batteries out there which give good performance and cost less than official canon batteries.

For what its worth I'd expect you'd get through 4 days with 4 batteries without much trouble; but its a very rough guess depending on how many shots you take and on if you use the popup flash.

Digital cameras use batteries fast... I use the manufacturer batteries (or aftermarket version) over AA's in digital bodies. In film bodies, I have to replace the batteries like every six months ... sometimes less.

My 1N RS takes 8 AA's... I can't even remember the last time I had to replace them... I just changed the batteries in one camera the other day - I put them in in April, last year.

The option to use AA's in place of the regular camera batteries is nice though. You can buy AA's anywhere. You can't always find a plug to charge your batteries...

Definitely worth it...

I had a grip on my 400D and it definitely made it better for me to hold...I don't have massive hands, but without it the 400D could be held with only 2 fingers and a thumb...what happened to the other 2 fingers?

I since upgraded to a 40D which is a bigger body, but still bought a grip for it as soon as I could. I got one for £20 from eBay...but it works a treat. Portrait shooting is great, heft and feel is great, and being able to swap button functions means everything is at a fingertip (or thumb-tip).

I gave the 400D to my 6 year-old. We took the grip off it as with her small hands it was too big. We'll put it back once she's used to the camera though.

... I've developed tennis elbow from the camera, 70-200 f/2.8 and grip. ...

That happened to me once after around an 8 hour day of shooting a racing event.. lifting the camera so much throughout the day just messed up my elbow. It took a while to fully heal.

You'd be surprised how long two modern camera batteries will last in a camera. Technology has come a long way. I'm not certain how long I could shoot each day with my D7000 but I've never been in a situation where I've had to worry about both batteries dying. It will shot a looong time with two batteries in it. I don't shot a ton of shots wither, however. I do rotate my batteries every so often because I usually don't wait until the body in the battery is being used before I charge the one in the grip. The D7000 is set up differently than a lot of cameras I think - the battery in the body stays in the body and the grip only holds one battery. The grip is certainly worth it to me. One point of note: with a lot of the 3rd party manufacturer's grips you will find that the commmand dials work in reverse of the ones on the camera. You turn them left to increase shutter speed, etc. instead of right like on the body. It's annoying at first but you get used to it. Otherwise, I've had no problems with mine except that the build quality isn't as stout as the Nikon one but that's to be expected at 1/3 the price.

Most reactions

Back