battery grip worth it?

I bought a grip for the 400d - the box says YXTM on it, and then some chinese script. It was great...can't say I noticed a quality difference between this and the real one a friend had.
For the 40D I got one with Meike on it...again a copy (and I have a ring flash with Meike, too). Both are fine. The grip detail on the battery grip matches the grip detail on the camera, the plastic is very similar (a smidge more shiny, perhaps). For 20 quid, it was a bargain. No issues with dials going the wrong way, etc.

They are nice. I tried a 7D and my pinky didn't have anything to hold onto lol....I bought some for my cameras and they stay on. They make it a little heavier but its nicer to have a camera that my entire hand fits on. Since my camera's never came with an option for a grip, the grips are after market, and the finish is close but not exact.

When I had the XTi, I have a Targus grip. It just works. Fit perfect. I bought that new from Amazon at that time for $20 so something similar. (While Walmart still sell it for $99 at that time)

Button feel were not as good as the original one though especially the half press shutter button feel.

For Canon Rebel series, I like it with the grip since it make the camera bigger and easier for my hands.

I also have the 40D with Canon grip. The buttons on the Canon version feel the same as the camera. But it also add weight to the camera. Right now, I do not use the grip that much since I do not want to carry the extra weight. As for the battery, a Li-ION camera battery make more sense than the AA. If you have 2 fully charged batteries, I doubt you really need AAs since they last for many many shots.

And you can charge the batteries in many places nowadays such as your car, hotels, airports starbucks etc.

One thing though, the camera looks bad ass with the grip.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post the 'life expectancy' of a single charge on a pair of genuine Canon batteries in the grip on my 30D...1600+ frames shot over a period of 5 days! With my 60D, I've already shot perhaps 1500 frames on those batteries first charge up and the camera reports 75% charge, still! However, need a charge or not, they'll be recharged before I head to my stepdaughters' wedding 5 weeks from now.

wow... they last THAT long ??

my pocket compacts only get about 500 shots before they die. but, that's also with the screen on full time, and reviewing the pics after shooting them.

but, looking at it now, it's only 3.7v and 700mah yet still powering a 3" screen.

I agree completely with Overreads' post... one other consideration... the knock-offs are less expensive. I have found however when you are ready to change gear or upgrade the original grip holds value better.

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

my battery grip came in today....

i waited 7 days for it.....

and they sent me the wrong thing...

i believe it's for a 550d not my 450d.

it wont even slide into the camera, because the shape is wrong.

my batteries wont go into it either.

my batteries have 3 slots.. but the grip they sent has 4 prongs.

inside the camera as well. 4 slots vs 3 prongs.

uuuugggghhhhh

now the wait for someone to respond back and let me know how slowly they plan on rectifying the situation.

Battery grips are VERY worth it. I've got one on my 5DmkI and I never take it off. I also use it in conjunction with a Black Rapid strap and that seems to work quite well. I have the OEM Canon battery grip for mine, and I had an Opteka Battery grip for my T1i. The opteka battery grip is decent. The controls work, however are more rigid than the body controls on the camera. After ~2 years of usage, the rubber grip has started to peel a bit.

The battery cover will pop off of the main camera body, and slide into an area close to where the battery contacts are for the grip.

o hey tyler, did you ever have any problems with using the OEM grip with the Black Rapid strap? I'm thinking about purchasing an OEM grip for my D90, but just worried about the "fitting" and whether the grip (specifically an Opteka like the one you have) will be secure and sustain the weight of the camera dangling from it with a telephoto lens attached. I completely understand about the grip peel, which is why I'm thinking if it's going to happen I'd rather purchase OEM's I can quickly replace without burning too much of a hole in my wallet.

Battery grips are VERY worth it. I've got one on my 5DmkI and I never take it off. I also use it in conjunction with a Black Rapid strap and that seems to work quite well. I have the OEM Canon battery grip for mine, and I had an Opteka Battery grip for my T1i. The opteka battery grip is decent. The controls work, however are more rigid than the body controls on the camera. After ~2 years of usage, the rubber grip has started to peel a bit.

The battery cover will pop off of the main camera body, and slide into an area close to where the battery contacts are for the grip.

o hey tyler, did you ever have any problems with using the OEM grip with the Black Rapid strap? I'm thinking about purchasing an OEM grip for my D90, but just worried about the "fitting" and whether the grip (specifically an Opteka like the one you have) will be secure and sustain the weight of the camera dangling from it with a telephoto lens attached. I completely understand about the grip peel, which is why I'm thinking if it's going to happen I'd rather purchase OEM's I can quickly replace without burning too much of a hole in my wallet.

I use an OEM grip for my 7D with a Black Rapid strap. It's totally solid, and I never worry about it coming loose or detaching. Most big telephoto lenses also come with a tripod ring, which you can attach the strap to for better balance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am quite confident with my OEM Canon 5D grip/BlackRapid combo. I've never had any issues thus far. The heaviest piece of glass I usually carry around with it is an 85mm f/1.4. I weighed my gear out the other day to figure out how much my black rapid strap is holding and it's roughly 4.5lbs. You shouldn't have an issue with your D90 I don't think.

I have a D90 with an MB-D80 grip on it and use a Black Rapid R7 all the time when I'm hauling my Sigma 150-500 lens around. That's pushing 8 pounds of camera (the lens alone weighs about the same as the camera and grip with 2 batteries) and using a regular neck strap is rough after just a few minutes. Never had any problem with the grip or the strap other than it smacking the side of my leg. I've just gotten in the habit of keeping my hand on it to stop the slap. I realize this doesn't comment on the Opteka line but it does speak for the Nikon MB-D80 grip.

do you use a battery grip on your camera?

I've narrowed our impending purchase to two different models.

both can accept a battery grip.

the knock offs are not expensive at all.

the obvious pro is that you double battery life, and have the option of aa's in an emergency.

are there negatives?

I can imagine it would make the camera heavier. Probably need a bigger case.

any other negatives?

what about the battery door. Where does that go?

You can't go wrong with a grip. The extended shooting time of having two batteries helps too. My 550d is kinda small and light, this keeps it from being front heavy and easier to hold.

I found some on ebay for 20 but they look and feel cheap. They have some for about 35 that feel good and look pro level.

I have a D90 with an MB-D80 grip on it and use a Black Rapid R7 all the time when I'm hauling my Sigma 150-500 lens around. That's pushing 8 pounds of camera (the lens alone weighs about the same as the camera and grip with 2 batteries) and using a regular neck strap is rough after just a few minutes. Never had any problem with the grip or the strap other than it smacking the side of my leg. I've just gotten in the habit of keeping my hand on it to stop the slap. I realize this doesn't comment on the Opteka line but it does speak for the Nikon MB-D80 grip.

@oheytyler, Scraig, TheBiles,
Thanks guys! That was some quick response/input! Looks like it's time to go shopping then...

@oheytyler, Scraig, TheBiles,
Thanks guys! That was some quick response/input! Looks like it's time to go shopping then...

You can get some great deals on batteries too on ebay. Just be careful with some Chinese made batteries, some require a special charger.

Most reactions

Back