Been with a D40, now......

Well there are a couple of lenses that I'd love to get, but my camera doesn't have a focusing motor and the AF-S versions are way more expensive, so I do think an internal motor is important.

I am not saying its not important to some people but saying that it is not a very big upgrade just because it lacks an internal focus motor is unfair imo.

Nikon & Canon have more variety of lens to choose from. You can use almost any of Nikon new and old lenses on the D90. There are more people selling used Nikon lens to save money and it works great. Or you can always get it from 3rd party company like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. Some might be more but you're paying for a little more quality. If you're concern about money then why not go with a product that's been trusted and will last you several years to come? The D90 will stand the test of times for another 3 or + years. During those times I'm sure you can put a little more on flashes, and lens. Camera you need now, some extra lens and flash you can wait til you find a good price on used one. Also Camera you can find more used D90 than a Pentax. I found a D90 brand new on craigslist for $960 off craigslist. Store retail about 1149$. A used one will be cheaper than that. If you dont' trust used one, well there's some refurbished one online. Good luck on your decision. :thumbup:

Well there are a couple of lenses that I'd love to get, but my camera doesn't have a focusing motor and the AF-S versions are way more expensive, so I do think an internal motor is important.

I am not saying its not important to some people but saying that it is not a very big upgrade just because it lacks an internal focus motor is unfair imo.

If budget is the main concern then it's even more of a big upgrade. Instead of let's say a D5000 which is $699 retail, you can get a D90 for 1100? I'm just speaking retail. I got a better lens kit 18-105mm VR. Bought a used 50mm 1.4 lens for 240$, that's about over 180$ saving from a 50mm AF-S 1.4 lens new online. I have not seen one 50mm 1.4 AF-S on craigslist for used yet I've seen 4 of 50mm AF 1.4 this week during my time buying it. 420 on top of 699 is 1,119. 240 on top of 1100 is 1340$. So would about 2 hundred dollar right there worth having a D90 or a D5000? What if later on he wanted another lens, external flash. Nope you can't do it with D5000. In the end, having a better camera with less stress and will eventually save more money in the end is more worth it IMO.

P.S. And no I'm not biased because I have the D90. I had the D5000 last week but returned it for D90. Luckily I researched since the D5000 gave me a big headache because of lenses and I knew I want more in the near future. The D5000 will leave me empty in the end when I reach to my goal. Not saying I'm any good but I rather have something more future proof than to have something with more limitation and end up spending more in the future. Everybody is different though because some only have certain amount of money at the time and can't go pass it one inch. My theory is, if you can't then don't do it because you will regret it in the end unless you have money coming in within a year or two or you'll be stuck with the camera you got today. Beside the 50mm 1.8 lens for $120 that's good, any other lens you want will cost you an arm and a leg. If it wasn't for online forum like we have today, many people would have been ripped off and regret buying it from retail store. Just saying.

Last edited:
wow alot of D90 responses...to be honest, i really was leaning towards the Pentax (either K7 or Kx). i still have some time to research, however.

aren't lenses/accessories for Nikon much more expensive than those for Pentax? (Ex: external flashes, lenses, etc.) The Nikon SB600 flash is over $200 i believe!?

There are a number of third party manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) that make great great lenses for cheaper than the Nikon price.

Most reactions

Back